From SawdustStanley No. 8 New (to me) Stanley No. 8 Jointer Plane I picked up on line. No restoration has been done, at least by me, and I’m not sure I plan on doing any. I’ve tested it out but haven’t had time to fully put it to work yet. The one thing I have done is sharpened and slightly cambered the iron which seems to work well. Eventually I would like to replace the irons in my Stanleys with a Hock iron and chipbreaker. More photos can be found here.
The two planks that made up the top, were a bit cupped, gluing them up into a top didn’t help out much. Although I took the top out of the clamps I still kept them handy. I used two of the pipe clamps to hold the top steady whilest i did a little flattening The one face wasn’t too bad, so just a wide Jack plane to level the field, and a smoother to, well, smooth things out Flipped the top over, as I wanted both faces cleaned up. I hadn’t decided which face wo...
A while back, I bought a “Parts Plane” for another plane rehab project. I was interested in the bolts, and the frog. When the plane arrived, along with some other parts, I decided to try things out. Bad mistake, actually…. The Parts Plane: Not much to look at,is there? a gray base, and red frog, and some handles that need some work. I slipped some needed parts onto this Parts plane, and decided a “Test Drive” would be fun… The parts inst...
Right, just realized I have more pictures and work done, and haven’t updated this yet… Not a whole lot of an update I guess. I was able to finish the mortises in the legs, and got some pocket hole screws drilled and fastened the legs and apron pieces together. I also used my restored #7c to take off an inch of the width on the table top, to get it down to the correct width, and then cut an inch or so off the end (crosscut). I don’t have a picture of it, but I also put a c...
Well I have bugun to start my collection of fine hand tools. I recently spent 3 weeks trying to get the Stanley Bailey set of old hand planes. I wanted to get them all rusted on purpose, so I would gain the knowledge that was going to bw necassry to get them back to good condition and keep them that way. So as the days progressed the planes begain to arrive at my home. I am now the very proud owner of a small Stanley 110 a stanley handyman a stanley #4 flat bottom a Stainley #5 2 Stanley #6 p...
The reason of delaying posting any upgrades on this blog was simply a matter of another shop move.Unfortunately the guy with whom we shared that big space backed-out, so I had to find another space and move on.Finally I did found a space good enough for my needs and settled down to set-up my small workshop. The space has 2 levels, at the ground level there’s the workshop,a small kitchen and a WC, the top level is mainly converted to a paint booth and drying room. The total space is 70m2 or ab...
Well, with the boards for the top cut to rough length and rough thickness, and the general layout for the top decided on, it’s time to start squaring up the lumber and getting ready to glue the top all together. I started out with jointing one face and one edge flat and square on the 6” general jointer. I set up a roller stand to the exact height on both the infeed and outfeed side. It’s time consuming, but squaring all the lumber is probably the single most important step i...
After experiencing the terrible quality of the new Stanley sweetheart block plane, I decided to buy a new Veritas block plane. Instead of a new one, I started looking for a used one. Well last night I got my wish. Over on the Woodnet forums, Peter was selling his Veritas low angle block plane with extra blades, shims, the handle accessories and even the chamfer guide. EVERYTHING! Its on its way here and I’ll write another review as soon as I’ve got a chance to put it thro...
Well, got my first hand plane in the mail, the stanley 60 1/2 plane. It wasn’t in too bad of a shape, but definitely needed some work…. So, first step was to take it apart. Had to get out a couple punches and made one mistake which I’ll explain later… The smallest stainless steel parts weren’t in too bad of shape, pretty good actually, so all that they need was a soak and some hand scrubbing. They were put in a tub of simple green and I let them sit...
Hi;getting wood out of a log is a lot of work! yes it is wood just sitting there in the log but that doesn’t exactly help for making tables or chairs. so an update:I spent a couple of days making new saw horses to replace the ones that collapsed: here is an old collapsed one and my helper and here are the new ones: I repaired the broken ones back in 1985. they lasted this long. I figure that these new ones will go to my helper in time. and new legs for my hacking stock I m...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries