Project was put on hold for almost two days….van needed work, had three planes needing rehab…..finally got some time in the Dungeon shop this evening… The bottom shelf is out of the clamps, and cleaned up. Will cut to final size WHEN I find out what it will be.. laid out for the long aprons/stretchers. Hmmmm, foot of the legs is a bit too small. Had to cut a larger “flat” where the stretchers will go….and still keep them off the floor, too. trim...
Note to self….IF one closes the shop for the night…..do NOT go back out there. tried to pull an all-nighter….not. Anyway, laid out some curves and ran the bandsaws….tried the Texas bandsaw, still can’t follow a line…Bandsaw #2 seemed to at least try. Starting to get a few more toys down in the shop.. Drawknives, a spokeshave, couple low angle block planes…..Needed the spokeshave to remove the saw marks on the curves… Got both lower ...
Well had drywall to do for the weekend, kind of got behind on the Walnut Project. Last seen, I had a glue up going on… Jointed a pair of edges to book match them. Used a Jointer plane for that. A Stanley #7c works nicely. Got out a few clamps and the glue.. Two clamps under and a clamp over in-between. A piece of sandpaper was between the clamp and the glue. No stains that way. Let this sit a few days, until I could get back down there…. Removed the clamps toda...
Well, I got four to mill down into …..something. Set up a plank on the bench, scibed a few lines. I wanted four pieces 3" wide, with whatever was left for other parts. I got four 18” long, and two @ 17” long. Two of the planks, including this one, are 5/4 stock. The other two are just 4/4 stuff. Had the circular saws in from the trunk of the van, and took the larger one down to the shop… I can keep it on the shelf until needed. Made a big mess on the...
In this video, I show how I plan to use sliding dovetails for the mid span dividers, which also will house the sliding parts for the top, and then cut the sliding dovetails and make the dividers. Then I cut the slots in the end rails for the slides and glue up the end assemblies, which I might add was a grueling experience I hope I never put myself through again! I cut out the joinery for the lower rail that will connect the two curved rails and tie the whole thing together. It’s sta...
With the jointed boards smoothed of tool marks and lumber yard stamps I’m ready to dovetail. I chose 1:6 ratio since I’m using pine, and will cut the tails first. I chose to lay out a tail 1” from the edge of long boards then used my dividers to space out my tails so that the opposite edge has a tail 1” from the edge of the board. Once I was happy with that I decided to go with 1” wide tails and drew out the boards and began cutting them out with my only back...
Well this is my first attempt at a blog here; so here’s my go at it. About a year ago I came across a handful of older hand tools at an estate sale and since then I’ve put them to use and have been accumulating more and more hand tools. I recently moved and felt ashamed to put them in carboard boxes and crates I quickly made to get by with the time constraint. Now that I’m setting up shop all over again from scratch (divorce), literally from the ground up. I have the...
I am slowly catching up with editing and posting video. The bit that broke in the previous video makes its first cut and I get to use the Record 078 plane for the first time. It will take some time to get better at it, but practice, practice, practice is the way to go. I have at least a couple more videos to go on this one. I hope you enjoy it. https://youtu.be/zNOBI-wHJg0
Well. After letting the glue cure for a couple hours, went down to remove the clamps. Another fight broke out, as the longer clamps wanted to fall onto the floor, taking everything they could with them…..didn’t work. Clamped the case upside down to the bench, was going to level some edges.. Nice, thin shaving…..but, I wasn’t in the mood for things this slow. Got out the cambered Jack planes. Got the bottom almost leveled out, I figured I could install the b...
The weather has been rather nice lately. So nice that I have been spending more time in the shop. Along with being out in the air with Sally and Lil’ Lee. I have had the camera in the shop too. Which of course means I have lots of video clips saved, and nothing published for a while. Well, it rained today, so I took some time to do some editing and catching up. We had to go to town so Lil ‘Lee could get her grooming done, but other than that, I have been sitting in front of ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1659 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1684 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries