Updated 1/15/12 Regarding wood movement:Depending on the wood you use, where you live, and your own personal experience,y ou may want to allow more clearance.This is what works for me. I really dont allow for any movement at this stage. I know this sounds like trouble waiting to happen, but it works just fine for me. Even if we start off with a snug fit, we will still end up with a small gap around the perimeter. This is due to the final sanding and easing of the edges between lid and l...
Updated 1/16/12 This is where you need to decide how you want to open your box. I mentioned at the outset about some of the different boxes I have made and how they hinge differently from one another. All are good, but you may have a preference in style or it may be your ability that decides for you. The pin hinge is what we will mainly be focusing on and was used on this box. Chapter 10 will discuss this style. The Deco box uses a standard brass butt hinge with a stop stra...
Updated 1/15/12 At this point we should have an assembled box, with corner splines, a recess cut into the body for the lid to set down into 3/8”, and a recess for the medallion cut into the lid that is also 3/8” deep, and the medallion cut to fit.DO NOT glue in the medallion yet! Next thing is to make the handle.I like to attach the handle by cutting a mortise in both the handle and the edge of the lid and slipping in a thin strip of wood, aka a spline. The spline is a scrap...
I was absolutely overwhelmed by the positive response to my Zig Zag How To blog post yesterday, that I decided to brainstorm some possible combinations (on my lunch break) using the basic steps I outlined yesterday. All of the same techniques and steps apply, and really the only difference is the woods and measurements that make up the original “sticks.” Same rules apply to width = height. Length is up to you. Please experiment with whatever measurements and combinations strike...
I have a server in my basement hooked-up to the television, and a wireless keyboard and mouse I use on a coffee table when I need to access it directly. I get tired of looking at the PC bits sitting on the table and leaning-over to use them, so I’ve decided to build a lift coffee table to hide the parts and bring them closer to me when I need them. I took the following design from a book I have, but modified it for a different lifting mechanism and some general dimension changes (alon...
Hello. These are the plans I have for a new workbench. I think I have decided that now is the time to build a bench I won’t need to remake. I have done lots of studing on workbench designs and could not decide between the German bench and the Roubo because of the leg vise. I had some thoughts in mind to making a double sided bench and incorporating both bench designs. I soon came across the Edwards bench. http://woodtreks.com/design-build-traditional-woodworking-workbench-tail-shoulder-...
I recently finished working on a cutting algorithm app for the iPad and iPhone called Smart Cutter, and wanted to share the app with every one hoping get some feedback from carpenters and wood workers. Smart Cutter finds the maximum number of small pieces cut from a larger sheet of paper with minimum scrap. It employs a state of the art algorithm to generate the maximum number of small pieces cut from a larger sheet of paper, wood, cloth or any other material, with minimum waste. Whether y...
Hello again, Just finished my homemade shop air filter. I had to change my original plans, which were to hang it from the ceiling. That’s because I also wanted a washable filter, to keep down on the ongoing costs. So here was the final criteria: I needed a blower that would draw and push at least 800 CFm, a primary filter that would catch up to 5 microns, and a secondary filter that would catch 1 micron particles, and not be cost prohibitive. Plus – it had to be quiet. S...
I was able to figure out why the piece of plywood was not square to the other piece of the A-frame. It turned out that one of the angled wedges at the bottom was a little long and needed to be trimmed. The plywood was already in place and I didn’t feel like unclamping and lifting it off. I used my dozuki and trimmed a thin line between the wedge and ply and after fishing the sliver out from underneath I was able to pound the sheet down into place. I used a level and a framing square to ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries