So I’ve discovered that my original garage woodshop was not very functional for me. With only about half of a two car garage to use for space, I was lacking an outfeed table and assembly table, and only had a workbench that was attached to the wall. I was also in serious need of storage space. So off to the computer I went. Lucky for me I had a copy of Microsoft Visio on my work laptop computer. Well after several trips back and forth and a lot of measuring I came up with a plan… ...
I recently posted a project of my first attempt at a plane. I was very happy with the outcome, both appearance and function. After putting it to work on scraps and such to give it a real trial, I’ve found some fatal flaws. I initially blamed the the original designer, which was submitted to Wood Magazine. I then decided that I took too many liberties and caused the error. The big problem is the wedge and rod that secures the iron. The plane sides are not quite .25”. I gave ...
Finally had time to start cutting the parts for the stand. Here is a photo of all of the pieces cut: I used a Dremel tool to cut the disks. Rather than buy the plastics disks from Work Sharp, I made some disks from hardboard and also from MDF. My design called for grooves to be cut into the MDF for the 3/16” hardboard shelves and backs. I couldn’t find a 3/16” router bit locally, so I ended up using an 1/8” bit in the Dremel and making two passes. A big hassle to...
I built the base over the weekend. I kinda wish I had gone a little thicker on the wood. Be that as it may, I like it. I cut all the wood 1.25 square. Of course when I tried the cross braces up against the legs I found an error in the thickness. I knew that ! ;) I have no idea why I didn’t think of it. Glue up was a nightmare. I leaned a huge lessons including this one: “Sometimes you have to make a jig!!! I am mostly out of the odd ball shapes business for a while but in the f...
My first project that I have posted is a 24×6x24 pipe smoking cabinet that holds (36) pipes. As shown below: Now its time to start on the base unit. I need storage for my pipe tobacco which is stored in a number of different sized and shaped containers. Mason jars of different sizes, round or square metal tins, gasket-lid jars, etc… That can be accomplished rather easily, I would think, with standard fixed or adjustable shelving. I also need storage for pipe cleaners, li...
We are actively seeking ways to help with the disaster victims. It has been a long road, but we have finally launched our DRV campaign. Follow this link: http://www.gofundme.com/2rzs1gPlease spread the word.
Yesterday I assembled the foot and head boards on the Arts and Crafts Twin size bed. What a tedious job that turned out to be with 15 stiles on each. I had a clamping plan that didn’t workout very well on the foot board and I re-evaluated my plan when I did the head board and the new plan seemed a little better and it did go smoother. It’s just the fact that there are a lot of pieces that have to go together all at the same time. I think that the Queen size Arts and Craft bed that is my upcom...
Hello Readers, Wow its been a really long time since I have blogged anything… Spud has kept me really busy. But today I think I have something to share that I have been realizing is the next step for me and subsequently Spud. I have come to the conclusion that I love woodworking, I love making things myself and seeing the satisfaction that people have with my product. A few weeks ago I decided that I would begin saving money from my business to open a brick and mortar storefront. ...
I’m working on a cherry table, for in front of my office window, like a coffee table with hinged top.Primarily for use as a window seat for my dog. This is from a Wood Magazine Plan December 1997 Issue 101 That I’m going to modify. Early construction photo’s at Webshots
So now its time for the grand finale, a finish that really brings this piece to life. through some test piece and some inspiration (thanks to this woodworker) I began to dye some piece with some general finishes dyes. When i first put the Vintage Cherry Water based Dye Stain on the mahogany i knew i had a winner. It might be hard to see in these pictures but it really brings out the beauty in Mahogany. So the first step (after much sanding) is to apply a coat of the Vintage Cherry. I also ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1823 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 81 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 273 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 226 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries