I was able to figure out why the piece of plywood was not square to the other piece of the A-frame. It turned out that one of the angled wedges at the bottom was a little long and needed to be trimmed. The plywood was already in place and I didn’t feel like unclamping and lifting it off. I used my dozuki and trimmed a thin line between the wedge and ply and after fishing the sliver out from underneath I was able to pound the sheet down into place. I used a level and a framing square to ...
I built the base over the weekend. I kinda wish I had gone a little thicker on the wood. Be that as it may, I like it. I cut all the wood 1.25 square. Of course when I tried the cross braces up against the legs I found an error in the thickness. I knew that ! ;) I have no idea why I didn’t think of it. Glue up was a nightmare. I leaned a huge lessons including this one: “Sometimes you have to make a jig!!! I am mostly out of the odd ball shapes business for a while but in the f...
My first project that I have posted is a 24×6x24 pipe smoking cabinet that holds (36) pipes. As shown below: Now its time to start on the base unit. I need storage for my pipe tobacco which is stored in a number of different sized and shaped containers. Mason jars of different sizes, round or square metal tins, gasket-lid jars, etc… That can be accomplished rather easily, I would think, with standard fixed or adjustable shelving. I also need storage for pipe cleaners, li...
We are actively seeking ways to help with the disaster victims. It has been a long road, but we have finally launched our DRV campaign. Follow this link: http://www.gofundme.com/2rzs1gPlease spread the word.
Yesterday I assembled the foot and head boards on the Arts and Crafts Twin size bed. What a tedious job that turned out to be with 15 stiles on each. I had a clamping plan that didn’t workout very well on the foot board and I re-evaluated my plan when I did the head board and the new plan seemed a little better and it did go smoother. It’s just the fact that there are a lot of pieces that have to go together all at the same time. I think that the Queen size Arts and Craft bed that is my upcom...
Hello Readers, Wow its been a really long time since I have blogged anything… Spud has kept me really busy. But today I think I have something to share that I have been realizing is the next step for me and subsequently Spud. I have come to the conclusion that I love woodworking, I love making things myself and seeing the satisfaction that people have with my product. A few weeks ago I decided that I would begin saving money from my business to open a brick and mortar storefront. ...
I’m working on a cherry table, for in front of my office window, like a coffee table with hinged top.Primarily for use as a window seat for my dog. This is from a Wood Magazine Plan December 1997 Issue 101 That I’m going to modify. Early construction photo’s at Webshots
So now its time for the grand finale, a finish that really brings this piece to life. through some test piece and some inspiration (thanks to this woodworker) I began to dye some piece with some general finishes dyes. When i first put the Vintage Cherry Water based Dye Stain on the mahogany i knew i had a winner. It might be hard to see in these pictures but it really brings out the beauty in Mahogany. So the first step (after much sanding) is to apply a coat of the Vintage Cherry. I also ...
Ok, Lets talk about the bench top. I chose brown maple for the top purely because its was the cheapest wood available. Also you will notice that it is 3/4” think prior to laminating. I would choose the same lumber again if I were to redo this project. The maple holds up very well and has a nice patina. I planned the slab to have a final thickness of 3 inches. Why 3 inches? well from the literature I have read 3 inches is generally the ideal thickness for bench dogs. In retrosp...
Todays a good day, I while ago I applied to youtube for a partnership, I had been waiting for a long time by now. The day after I joined Lumber Jocks I was accepted… YAY! I’m not superstious in any way but Lumber jocks seems to be having a good effect on my woodwork and everything else to do with it. For those who havn’t check out my channel it is: http://www.youtube.com/user/TeenWoodworker On top of the good news about my partnership acceptence today I recie...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries