What started as a leaking kitchen faucet has turned in to a kitchen remodel. However, I convinced my wife that before tearing up the kitchen, we should build a buffet in the dining room. If all goes well, then we will tackle the kitchen next year. We have been living in this house since July 1987. It has been paid for for several years and all of our kids are grown so it is just me and the missus. The cabinets are vintage 1983 oak but their time has come and gone. I don’t like the...
Hi everyone! I’ve been somewhat out of radio contact due to pressing work for my degree and working on a business startup…. Between then (when was the last post?) and now, the entire piece was constructed in Solidworks, had the bugs refined out (mostly avoiding work overcomplication and basic logistics), ripped apart and reconstructed. Very little has changed from the original dimensions and layout. The recipient of the largest changes were the doors in terms of the muntin/mull...
This is my plan for a media center that is a more-or-less match for the Walnut Coffee Table I completed a couple of months ago. The dimensions are about 24×58-3/4×20 3/4. A couple of points of interest in the design. The drawers on the bottom are sized to hold about 180 DVDs all together. The back panels will be removable and the shelves will have cutouts in the back to make hooking up cabling easier, and the drawers will stop a couple inches short of the back to allow for...
So I’ve discovered that my original garage woodshop was not very functional for me. With only about half of a two car garage to use for space, I was lacking an outfeed table and assembly table, and only had a workbench that was attached to the wall. I was also in serious need of storage space. So off to the computer I went. Lucky for me I had a copy of Microsoft Visio on my work laptop computer. Well after several trips back and forth and a lot of measuring I came up with a plan… ...
I recently posted a project of my first attempt at a plane. I was very happy with the outcome, both appearance and function. After putting it to work on scraps and such to give it a real trial, I’ve found some fatal flaws. I initially blamed the the original designer, which was submitted to Wood Magazine. I then decided that I took too many liberties and caused the error. The big problem is the wedge and rod that secures the iron. The plane sides are not quite .25”. I gave ...
Finally had time to start cutting the parts for the stand. Here is a photo of all of the pieces cut: I used a Dremel tool to cut the disks. Rather than buy the plastics disks from Work Sharp, I made some disks from hardboard and also from MDF. My design called for grooves to be cut into the MDF for the 3/16” hardboard shelves and backs. I couldn’t find a 3/16” router bit locally, so I ended up using an 1/8” bit in the Dremel and making two passes. A big hassle to...
I was able to figure out why the piece of plywood was not square to the other piece of the A-frame. It turned out that one of the angled wedges at the bottom was a little long and needed to be trimmed. The plywood was already in place and I didn’t feel like unclamping and lifting it off. I used my dozuki and trimmed a thin line between the wedge and ply and after fishing the sliver out from underneath I was able to pound the sheet down into place. I used a level and a framing square to ...
I built the base over the weekend. I kinda wish I had gone a little thicker on the wood. Be that as it may, I like it. I cut all the wood 1.25 square. Of course when I tried the cross braces up against the legs I found an error in the thickness. I knew that ! ;) I have no idea why I didn’t think of it. Glue up was a nightmare. I leaned a huge lessons including this one: “Sometimes you have to make a jig!!! I am mostly out of the odd ball shapes business for a while but in the f...
My first project that I have posted is a 24×6x24 pipe smoking cabinet that holds (36) pipes. As shown below: Now its time to start on the base unit. I need storage for my pipe tobacco which is stored in a number of different sized and shaped containers. Mason jars of different sizes, round or square metal tins, gasket-lid jars, etc… That can be accomplished rather easily, I would think, with standard fixed or adjustable shelving. I also need storage for pipe cleaners, li...
We are actively seeking ways to help with the disaster victims. It has been a long road, but we have finally launched our DRV campaign. Follow this link: http://www.gofundme.com/2rzs1gPlease spread the word.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1696 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1721 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries