Version 1.2a At this point I decided to get more “radical” in my design approach. I removed two of the cross rails (found out through experience that I didn’t need them anyway). Then I took the corner poles out of the flanges and put a “sleeve” on the side of my table for the corner poles to slide into (see photo below). Electrical conduit clamps work great for attaching the sleeves. This design also allowed me to adjust the height of the router sled in...
Movin’ right along, here’s Version 1.2 of my router planer. Because I’d made the router sled larger in order to accommodate larger pieces, I now needed to design something bigger for the sled to ride on. That’s when I came up with the idea of using longer piping for the end poles and cross rails (instead of the 12” pipes and the plywood cross rails shown in my first design). The photo below shows my first attempt (my “beta” version) at this new des...
The next design I came up with for my router planer was based loosely on some of the designs some fellow woodworkers had posted right here on Lumberjocks. The biggest design change was that I eliminated the sled pictured in the first photo in my last blog entry and used angle iron glides instead. Now here was a design I really took a liking to right away. This one allowed me to plane much larger pieces without fear of slipping off the edges of the runners because the router moves withi...
Every now and then you need to face a challenge. This is my latest. I had been working up to this for quite a few months. Luckily I have some project funds and what with my suppliers prices going up and VAT increases in the new year I felt it was the right time. A friend who plays asked if I could make him a cello but I felt that I could not commit his resources and expectations on the first one so I am making it for myself. Goodness knows why as I don’t play. However, he asked for a St...
One of the things I found out very early on in my type of woodworking is that the slabs I use in my projects are often in dire need of planing. The problem with this is the thickness planer I had was not large enough to accommodate the width of most of these slabs. So, I began reviewing my old book and magazine libraries and surfing the Net to try and find something else that might meet the need for the type of work I planned to do. The results of my search were mixed. The very first opti...
I saw this in an older Fine Woodworking issue (#202) and was compelled to finish my outfeed table for my Unisaw. Mine needs to be built a little different as I have the sliding table to the left of my saw, and the left extension wing is removed. My storage below the table will really only have only one usable side and end. I designed it to be 90 degrees from the photo, two drawers at the bottom, table saw blade storage, and an open spot for my dado blade kits on the higher level. I ...
At the very start, let me give all the credit in the world to Tedth66, whose project this is totally based on, and who has been graciously providing guidance as I build this. This is a modification of his design, adding a few details, and making it work for my shop. I have a 2 car garage / workshop that is tremendously space challenged, so I need to be clever about every square inch. On top of that, I enjoy modifying designs and making them work custom for me. So when I saw Ted’s ...
As winter comes up on the horizon I will be doing most of my work with the garage closed. That will make my dust problems even worse. I have had Asthma all of my life. It improved as I reached adulthood but probably not as much as it would have if I had not been smoking a pack a day for 15 years. Hey if you drank a fifth or two of Vodka a day you would smoke too! LOL All I can say for that is my 7 year old son got me to stop smoking last Christmas by telling me not to bother coming back in...
It was another day of fun and creativity yesterday. I had originally planned on cutting out the next candle tray, but it was quite windy and rainy all day long. I need to do a quick routing on the edges of each of the trays and I usually do that outside, but the weather just wasn’t cooperating. Even though it only takes a few minutes to rout, I thought it best to wait and go on to ‘plan B’. I like having a ‘plan B’. I think it is something that everyone sh...
I’ve cut and installed the corner and end blocks on the mold with just a dab of glue, so when I remove the mold, they release easily. These are what the ribs (sides) attach to. The blocks are made of willow because of its lightness and the added benefit that it is a fairly straight grained wood which makes cutting with the inside gouge an easy task. I then drew the points and top and bottom using the template. These are two different violins – reason for two templates. U...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries