From my “bunk bed” screws holding the rails on while the glue dries overnight, to 5/16” oak dowels glued in enlarged holes. Here are four more pins for the next rail. Gluing up the top rail now using new HF 1/2” pipe clamps. At first I didn’t think they were going to work. The back clamp wanted to slide badly. But after I took some Coleman stove fuel to the pipes to remove much of that gummy, waxy finish they worked brilliantly. They are a little bit heavy,...
I’m still plugging away on the NF workbench. Weather here in ON has been cold so, it has moved inside for completion. My biggest hangup so far has been the math for the intersecting pipes. Everything fits in there – but it looks like I may have a hare over 3/4 from the benchtop to the pipe. I got a little carried away and made the well for the long clamps 12.5”. Next bench will probably be smaller, although my drill press fits in there pretty nice.
While gluing up my workbench top with pipe clamps, there was one part of the bench that didn’t want to cooperate and so I had to exert an extra bit of force to close up the gluing gap. It worked. All the glue joints are tight and strong. However, in the process I broke a pipe clamp, which for me was a first. I’m not surprised that it was one of the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh clamps and not a Pony clamp. The “Pony” clamps are definitely of better quality and the screw tu...
We all know that you can never have too many clamps and acquiring a sufficient collection of clamps takes alot of money and usually alot of time. A while back I purchased two bessey 3/4 pipe clamps for $13.00 each and two 2ft threaded pipe nipples for about $8.00 each. This came out to around $22.00 per clamp. Recently i was at harbour freight. I will first say that i have a love hate relationship with this store. Their blades and bits are not worth a crap. However, i have bought se...
The sketchup plans for the bench originally came to me from Jeff, and I modified the dimensions to make the final bench 8’ long x 28” deep x 34” tall (although I rough cut the leg pieces a bit longer, since I’m debating whether to bring up the height an inch or so). Finally getting started on this thing. All I have to show for it so far is a stack of rough cut SPF (can’t find Douglas Fir around here): The back table top will be made from glued up c...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries