I put 4 coats of flat dove white paint on the outside and 4 coats of satin wipe-on poly on the inside, except for the cedar on the bottom which is unfinished. I think the flat paint was a bad idea. It seems to get dirty if I even look at it funny. Some day I will probably use this chest as a test run for doing some stencil work so maybe that will cover up or blend in some of the dirt. Overall view: View with the lid open: View showing the cedar lining: I also used two of these ...
I’ve been slowly working on building a modified captain’s bed for my 3 year old daughter. I thought I’d document some of the progress here. It’s been a fun project so far and my wife is itching for me to get it completed. This is the initial concept that I came up with after seeing a similar bed in a local furniture store. Lauren’s room isn’t very large, so having some storage under the bed is really a bonus. Lauren outgrew her crib and small b...
Because I train and teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu between 4 – 6 nights a week, I don’t get as much time in the shop as I’d like some times. We had a 3-day weekend this past weekend, but I wasn’t able to get any time in the shop on Saturday. Our head instructor came down from Hattiesburg for a seminar and that is an all-day affair with us all going out to eat afterwards and spending the evening hanging out around a fire in the back yard. I did get to put a good bit of time ...
After the top dried I trimmed it to final length and width and set it on the chest. I can’t seem to get the camera set right to get a representative photo. It doesn’t really look right if I used a flash and turning the flash off doesn’t seem to help much. I need to practice more. I put 3 coats of wipe-on poly on the inside of the chest and on the bottom of the lid. I also cut and fit some cedar panels for the bottom. All that is left to do is paint the outs...
Ok, I’ve been busy with life and could only get to the violin as weather permitted, that is until I insulated the garage and installed an IR heat lamp which takes the chill off the air. This is the maple back. I’ve carved guides using templates I made out of aluminum. After aligning the guides to the plate surface it’s a simple matter of carving away the excess and blending. There are 6 templates. 1 through 5 are horizontal left to right with the last spanning the length....
I had to purchase additional wood for the top because after 8 months in my garage the construction pine I purchased was warped too badly to use. So I got it all planed and jointed and then I decided I needed more practice with tongue and groove joints so I cut them on the table saw for the long edges as well as the breadboard ends. They were the best ones yet! I have a tough time getting the tongues the right length so there is no gap so this time I left the tongues a hair longer and used ...
I’ve learned a lot during this build. For some reason, I decided that it would be easier to form the feet after I had glued all 4 sides together. I don’t know why I thought that but it turns out not to be true and in hindsight I realize that if I had done something to screw up a foot it would have been a pain to fix the problem. Here is one side of the foot formed And now the other I also put in the supports for the bottom and installed some 1/2” ply for the b...
I started this project after building an assembly table from an issue of Wood Magazine (March 2010). The table was a lot of work (the torsion box top) but the main unit holding the table up was an easy build. That’s when I hit upon the idea of using the same design for a group of extra tables for other uses. I’ve built a number of these already, and am using one as a router table, a miter saw station, and a sharpening station. It is built using standard re-dimensioned co...
My resolution this new year was to finally finish this project so here we go… After getting my new planer I finally finished planing down the final two panels and glued up the 4th side. I figured this was a good time to sand the inside so I used a random orbit sander to sand the inside to 150 grit. Then it was time to glue the 4 sides together! The diagonal clamp is to pull everything into square. Next step will be to cut the shape of the feet and start adding the b...
This will be my new bed storage unit. I am waiting to get more lumber so I can build the drawers and doors. It will have sliding doors under the mattress for storage. The foot board will feature beaver stripped cottonwood half round planks. The beavers strip all the bark off and the tooth marks left behind are amazing. Lucky beavers get to do woodworking all day while I am stuck machining. I’ll show them! The beetles and beavers better keep up the good work.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1545 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1570 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 271 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 171 entries