Had a little time today and thanks to the Kreg jig, made a lot of progress, relatively speaking. First up, I used the coping saw to make a duplicate shelf for the upper stage. Then I cut out a rectangular shelf for the very top and sanded everything smooth and to the correct size for a snug fit. Out came the Kreg and in a few minutes I had pocket holes drilled for all the shelves, glue applied and screwed in place. Once clamps were applied to the sides, I came back and drilled pilot h...
Well no pictures this evening. I managed to get a little shop time in, worked on the leeboard mounts, and the step for the mast. Those are ready for gluing in. I temporarily fixed my ROS but the bottom popped out again so I guess it’s time to shop for a new sander. I still have the old B&D half sheet sander of my Dad’s which is just shy of 412 years old and it still works, why can’t a three or four year old sander that spent much of the time in a drawer keep working ...
Okay, so if you follow this blog, you’ll know that last year I built a leg vice and attached it to the workbench I built over the summer. The chop on this vice was simply two pieces of 3/4” pine, about 6” wide, glued together and shaped (with some crude tools I had at the time and zero knowledge of what I was doing). Then I carved my initials and the year of it’s construction (2012) into it and made a nice little handle out of poplar. Well, it works. ThatR...
Haven’t had a lot of shop time in the past week, too many tasks around the house and yesterday was a complete wash (rain all day makes for stir-crazy kids). But, I did get out there today and made some sawdust. First I took the random orbital sander to the coopered first stage section and smoothed it out into a nice purty arch. Then I got busy cutting and planing the sides of the second stage. I want to let the final design of the hatch on the coopered section of the first s...
Hello again friends and thanks for following. In this installment I prep each of the panels (Head bard and Food Board) for glue up. I’ve done a lot of work since my last blog but progress has been a little slow. Before I glued up the panels I tested my dye/poly finish to make sure that pine and birch ply would look ok together. And it looks ok to me. Gives me that splotchy pine look my wife likes so much. ;-) Then on to prep the panels for glue up. This consisted of planing an ...
I have spent the better part of my life building what I would call rustic furniture, I love the experience of going out into the woods and find some unique natural branch, bark or burl and incorporating it into a design.. Doing this thing on YouTube where I have been sharing ideas and jigs that I build to (I hope) inspire people to thinking out side of the realm of traditional craftsmanship and maybe try something new.. any way the link below is to a slide show of a few off the pieces I have ...
The goal with this entry– create the case face frame (shown in blue) and… …build the back, then put the case together. I find woodworking to be a humbling hobby. I have been working with wood for about 30 years and while I don’t consider myself an expert, I think by now I should know enough to keep from making silly mistakes. But, as I have made progress on my new router table several mistakes have surfaced; two of them being significant ones. I thought about listing them in this blo...
Finally got back to work on this project…I dove right in with making the staves for thr coopered base on Stage I. My plan is to make a nice curved wall and cut a hatch into it so Keaton can put toys inside. I did some calculations and discovered I needed 12 pieces of wood, angled at 3 degrees per side to make a nice arc. Here’s the basic idea: To make the bevels, I needed a jig to slide each stave into for planing. Nothing fancy, just some scrap pine cut to hole the s...
I got started in woodworking about six months ago when I brought home a small log that was cut from a much bigger log off a black mulberry tree down the street that has fallen apart due to age, its own weight and who knows what else (but yields gobs of incredibly sweet fruit) As I stripped the bark and saw what was inside, I was mezmerized. This is a very old tree and yielded gorgeous wood. One thing led to another, and I began in earnest to amass a hoard of wood from anywhere I cou...
This is a project I built a few months ago. It is a new router table which replaced the antiquated one I had been using – a much needed upgrade for my shop. When I think back to the day I received my first router table, I have to smile because I got it shortly after we moved into our current home – that makes it about 25 years old. I saw it in a Highland Woodworking catalog (then called Highland Hardware) and immediately knew I had to have it; you will see a photo of it below. But t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1182 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1204 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- MsDebbieP - 299 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 292 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 158 entries
- scottb - 144 entries