Well, did a bit of saw work today. Figured up I needed 3 boards @ 3/4” x 5-1/2” x 25” Circular saw did the work, after I had clamped the 8’ long plank in place. Had enough left over to form the back apron. Dry fit in the pipe clamps, looks good, spread some yellow glue around and clamp them up. Later, after the glue had cured, started to surface the top. A few handplanes to do the job. Had some “marks” on one board that needed to go… ...
Well, went out to Lowes today, and spent just over a $20 bill. Brought home five boards. Going to try to build a Shaker Table, hopefully with a drawer in it. The wood supply? A 2×4x8’ two 1×6x8’, and a couple 1×8 x~ 3’ I do have some scraps of pine down in the Dungeon Shop, too. Figured out I needed four legs @ 1-1/2×1-1/2×30”, and took the 2×4 down the steps to the Dungeon… Placed to board across both benches. and ...
Here is the remainder of the yellow pine that I need for my workbench. I had decided to give this thing legs and a skirt (hmm, sounds bad I know – hey maybe it’s a Scottish bench? LOL). The 2 X 12 was for the skirts on the front and the back, and the 2 X 8’s were for leg stretchers. I had 6 pieces of center ripped 2 X 10’s left over from making the top that I could use to make the legs. Still deciding whether to make a regular workbench or stay with my original plan of...
The Broken Carpenter. Funny to think, I felt quite broken when I came up with that blog title. It’s been a year since; and I feel very much changed. Last year, my family and I moved to a new house, mostly we moved due to family issues, and mostly we wanted to move. But, a little bit, neither my wife nor I really wanted to move. When we finally left, it hurt. There is still bad family blood to this day. And I say to everyone out there that love is grand!! Anyways… We landed in t...
This year the project for our park model was a new deck. This grouping of photos show how I built it- but not the conventional way. I designed it to have drawers below for storage and wanted the railing on the outside of the deck the carpet could be easily changed in the future. Here is what we started with: I used my laser mount (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/109042) to set the level line to start: And then I built small rectangles with 2×4”s and connected top and bott...
I ended up gluing inside my apartment where it was warmer. Ice and snowoutside. It is wide enough now that it won’t fit inside the glue box anyway. All 12 boards glued up. I think that I will add 2 more to make it 21” wide. Finally got a decent picture of all 14 boards glued up. Now to find help carrying it down to the garage when the weather turns nicer. It weighs over a hundred pounds. Not bad.
So there is my question. Is a satin finish the same as a matte finish? I made my wife a barn door headboard for Valintines Day (I will post picture when it is up). I made it out of 1×4 lumber and stained it gray to look old. She wants a matte finish, no shine at all, on it. She says a satin finish will have a slight shine to it. I said that satin and matte are the same. I know paint have a matte and it’s a dull look. If it is different, what do I use to put a clear on it that doesn...
I want to give credit to several people who have inspired me, challenged me, and gave me visual tutorials to correct my mistakes. Mark Hillard, Bob, The Grizzman, Andy Halewood aka Andyboy, Benji Reyes,and Peter aka Woodbridge, Charles Neil, Mark S The Wood Whisperer, and Marc Adams. Mark Hillard presented me with an observation that” maybe I would rather work on my tools then build a furniture piece. First, I got angry, because he busted me out, and then we discussed building thi...
Here is what I did yesterday: made a long box to keep the wood and glue warm while curing. Everything I needed was laying close at hand – literally! I had four old closet doors that I used as shelves a long time ago that were standing in the corner. I had used a couple of them as a flat work place to start gluing up the boards for my slab. I found 8 little metal angle braces with screws that I had bought a while back and never used. It is 78” long (my 72” boards fit j...
Southern Yellow Pine Work Surface (workbench) #3: Glueing up pairs of boards and then glueing up quads
This is the first two boards glued together the night before this picture. I have taken the bolts out and everything looks solid. Time will tell. This first one was probably the worst for glue coverage as I was in a hurry – it has been too long since I glued boards together. I keep thinking that if I didn’t hurry, the glue would set up and I’d have to do everything over again. But I think it will still be OK. I used plenty of glue on both sides and the only part I’...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries