The background… Keeping the big project in mind, I realized I’d need to do some assembly work on sawhorses—yes, my bench, big as it is, isn’t big enough. The plastic Stanley horses my wife got me a few years back are just done. The little braces that keep the legs open have way to many delicate hooks and have all snapped off. I used them as long as possible, but they just suck—I think my wife was more upset when we discovered this than I was! I’ve been meaning to build my own sawhorses ...
Well this is my first attempt at a blog here; so here’s my go at it. About a year ago I came across a handful of older hand tools at an estate sale and since then I’ve put them to use and have been accumulating more and more hand tools. I recently moved and felt ashamed to put them in carboard boxes and crates I quickly made to get by with the time constraint. Now that I’m setting up shop all over again from scratch (divorce), literally from the ground up. I have the...
Last spring I helped clean out the loft in an old barn on my Grandparents farm. the barn is getting old and starting to sag. My Grandpa had a huge stash of lumber up in the loft that he milled himself about 50 years ago when he used to have his own portable saw mill. (Sadly it burned in a forest fire) Most of the lumber was no good anymore and went to the burn pit, but I salvaged a fair pile My Grandpa had no use for the wood anymore and let me take it. I finally got it back to my place th...
Well. After letting the glue cure for a couple hours, went down to remove the clamps. Another fight broke out, as the longer clamps wanted to fall onto the floor, taking everything they could with them…..didn’t work. Clamped the case upside down to the bench, was going to level some edges.. Nice, thin shaving…..but, I wasn’t in the mood for things this slow. Got out the cambered Jack planes. Got the bottom almost leveled out, I figured I could install the b...
Well, first I had to go to the store and buy a bottle of Elmers. Dug out a few “acid” brushes to spread it around. Plan WAS to use wedges to help the clamps….not enough hands for it… that is when the cussing started up.. Spread a bunch of glue onto the dovetails, fought the clamps. Several clamps are a bit too long.. Had to use what I had on hand,,,,got a bit crowded, though.. new use for a sander’s handle? Clamp support. Finally managed to get ...
Well, first thing this morning, after the morning pill intake, was to set up a sharpening station that my back could handle. On the kitchen stove, we have a wooden tray. It is to cover the elements when the stove is not in use. Thanks to the height of the tray on the stove, I could set up the oil stones and sandpapers. Couple chisels needed a refresher on the grinder, but most just need some work on the stones and a final polish at 2K grit. Wound up doing 9 chisels, but not the goug...
It has taken two and a half weeks, but I am finally there, and the new bed is completed, since I quoted SWMBO three weeks, I am happy that I came in, in time! The original idea was to varnish the bed so that it was a natural pine colour, but… If that’s natural pine, my names Santa Claus, it reminded me of cheap pine kitchen furniture in my youth…orange! So the search went on, and we decided on an Oak matt varnish. Another change was the top mattress support,...
Well, the lower back settled down for a while…..set with a HOT heating pad on it for a day and a half. Could finally walk more than 10’ without going OUCH! Got bored sitting around, didn’t have anything to “baste” the back with while it was baking.. meandered SLOWLY down the steps to the Dungeon Shop…..stairs and my back are NOT are speaking terms to each other. Had the correct tools back from the Loft Bed Project in one hand, and a pine 1×6 in ...
At this rate, it might take awhile. Managed to get one hour of work in, before the back started to have …”issues” Laid out the lines on the end panel, had to check several times to make sure that THIS was the way the pins go. Since some diddn’t like my use of the old crosscut saw to cut pins with, I tried out the Disston backsaw I have.. Had a lot of trouble with the cuts, even with some wax on the blade…..ah, needed the rip style one. This saw was le...
Well, back is giving me fits tonight. I tried to get at least one corner test fitted. Soooo, here we go.. had the lines all marked out, but needed a decent saw to cut the pins for the dovetails…..had a panel saw, 10 ppi, seemed to be sharp. tried it out, just splitting some lines.. Saw isn’t all that big, maybe 20” or less. Came from a hardware company up in Cleveland,OH. Seemed to do a decent enough job.. Well, after all the lines were sawn….I clam...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1696 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1721 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries