The construction of the new garage last fall gave me a clean slate for setting up my small shop. The lone survivor in terms of shop furniture from that leaky, damp mess was my workbench. It survived several months in public storage and the trip back and forth. The top is solid and heavy and I don’t like to waste. It reminded me of how far I have come in my wood working and how much more I still have to learn. I scrapped the base but kept the top, thinking about how best to ...
And on the tool chest! Got up this morning, and got the lid out of the clamps. Had some clean up to do on it from squeeze outs. Couple of joints needed to be flatter. Marked out for some screw holes on the trim pieces, and checked the fit. Miter joints needed afine tuning. Screws were deep set. Might go back and add plugs…..someday. Both corners were looking good Just one side piece was a hair too long. Trimmed it to size. Glue and screws to fasten the trim i...
and panel raisin’ Got the Pine panel out of the clamps. Hand planed to as flat as I could get in. Time to raise a panel. Same way as the side panels. Mark out a “stop line” about 1” in from the edge. Take a #4 sized handplane, set it a bit deep. Go at a diagonal to the grain. Plane until you reach the stop line, check the remainder of the edge for straightness. As you get close to the finish line, back off the depth of cut. I do the end grain ...
This is a simple but elegant shaker bookcase I built out of pine to match the other furniture in my clients house. He wanted it deeper than a normal bookcase so it could house the electronics for his entertainment system. It was a pretty quick build and took about 2 days to make. You can see the specifics on my blog Shaker Pine Bookcase
Ok, spent a bit of time getting the case put together. Things just seem to roost on my benchtop. Setting the panels upside down on an almost flat benchtop. Clamp an end panel to the front/back panel. The longer panels have a series of counter-bored screw holes, about seven per corner. Clamp a corner together, add a few screws, move the clamp a bit to uncover the one or two that are hiding under them. Work my way around, by adding the other end panel, rotate the three piece set aro...
Ever since I bought a house, I’ve found myself doing too much yardwork, and not enough woodworking. I decided I could use yardwork as an excuse to woodwork. Rather than buy a $45 aluminum landscaping rake that I would probably only use 4 times in my life, I decided to use the old rake handle I found in the yard when the snow melted and a 2×4 to make my own. The first step was to remove the broken end of the existing handle: With this done, I started shaving off the end with m...
Ok, frame is almost done Maybe some tweaking left. Needed to find out what size to finish cut the raised panel to. Around 11-1/4 by 13 or so. Got out the “Speed Square” and laid out a few lines. Running the circular saw a different direction this time, with most of the weight on the non waste side Set the saw to almost cut through the panel, and NOT the benchtop. Next, maybe make some beveled edges? A Millers Fall #14 Jack plane for the work. I marked out ab...
Getting maybe an hour or two a day on this chest. Baby steps? Got a second front/back panel out of the clamps. and standing on it’s own two little feet. and set the first one nearby Yep, gonna be a wee bit bigger than the first chest. Then some work got started on the ends I got the parts for the frame milled up/down. Needed to run a corded router to make the 3/8×3/8” grooves. Was getting close to done when the cutter snapped off. Hmm, only have one ...
I usually enjoy tradition techniques for my woodworking but when my wife ordered a new computer and then asked if I could have a desk ready by the time it got here I had to think of something faster. I choose a very old design from an article in PWM a few years back and modified it to fit my needs, pocket hole joinery and my limited turning ability. Here are the two side assemblies and the top being glued up.
Ok, had a bunch of parts milled down from an old Bed frame. Got some mortise work done To avoid mistakes, I try to keep each group of parts, like a complete side, in one spot. Helps when fitting things together later Because the grooves for the raised panels are off-set to the outside. I also cut down the grooves and then chop the mortises. I can then miter where two grooves meet, I hope I tend to cut tenons first. Then use the finish tenon to mark out a mortise to fit TH...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1404 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1428 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 172 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries