Having previously varnished the units to match the bed, I started early today, the first job was preparing the drawer fronts, I decided that because they are recessed it would not have looked right, to route the edges, I sanded them up to 320 grit, then drilled and fitted the handle screws in place. They then had a coat of varnish, and were left to dry. I made some stops, out of scrap mahogany to stop the drawers coming all the way out, they are just held to the back of each drawer by a si...
Having cut all the timber it was time to do something with it! I assembled the tops, and sides, minus the trim, using pocket hole screws and glue, sanded them with 80 grit, until they are all level, next I attached the trim, before continuing the sanding. I also sanded the side trim and the legs. Then it was time to start the build, things went together, but not as smoothly as I would have liked. There were a lot of pocket holes to be drilled, all on the inside, so none of th...
After having some issues with camera placement in my shop while video taping I came up with a camera mount that I can place almost anywhere on my walls. Using a spare tripod and some hardware I developed a French Cleat Camera Mount. This video also includes the steps I took to develop the project and a demonstration of the camera on the mount. If you have questions or comments, I’d love to hear from you. View on YouTube
With the jointed boards smoothed of tool marks and lumber yard stamps I’m ready to dovetail. I chose 1:6 ratio since I’m using pine, and will cut the tails first. I chose to lay out a tail 1” from the edge of long boards then used my dividers to space out my tails so that the opposite edge has a tail 1” from the edge of the board. Once I was happy with that I decided to go with 1” wide tails and drew out the boards and began cutting them out with my only back...
The background… Keeping the big project in mind, I realized I’d need to do some assembly work on sawhorses—yes, my bench, big as it is, isn’t big enough. The plastic Stanley horses my wife got me a few years back are just done. The little braces that keep the legs open have way to many delicate hooks and have all snapped off. I used them as long as possible, but they just suck—I think my wife was more upset when we discovered this than I was! I’ve been meaning to build my own sawhorses ...
Well this is my first attempt at a blog here; so here’s my go at it. About a year ago I came across a handful of older hand tools at an estate sale and since then I’ve put them to use and have been accumulating more and more hand tools. I recently moved and felt ashamed to put them in carboard boxes and crates I quickly made to get by with the time constraint. Now that I’m setting up shop all over again from scratch (divorce), literally from the ground up. I have the...
Last spring I helped clean out the loft in an old barn on my Grandparents farm. the barn is getting old and starting to sag. My Grandpa had a huge stash of lumber up in the loft that he milled himself about 50 years ago when he used to have his own portable saw mill. (Sadly it burned in a forest fire) Most of the lumber was no good anymore and went to the burn pit, but I salvaged a fair pile My Grandpa had no use for the wood anymore and let me take it. I finally got it back to my place th...
Well. After letting the glue cure for a couple hours, went down to remove the clamps. Another fight broke out, as the longer clamps wanted to fall onto the floor, taking everything they could with them…..didn’t work. Clamped the case upside down to the bench, was going to level some edges.. Nice, thin shaving…..but, I wasn’t in the mood for things this slow. Got out the cambered Jack planes. Got the bottom almost leveled out, I figured I could install the b...
Well, first I had to go to the store and buy a bottle of Elmers. Dug out a few “acid” brushes to spread it around. Plan WAS to use wedges to help the clamps….not enough hands for it… that is when the cussing started up.. Spread a bunch of glue onto the dovetails, fought the clamps. Several clamps are a bit too long.. Had to use what I had on hand,,,,got a bit crowded, though.. new use for a sander’s handle? Clamp support. Finally managed to get ...
Well, first thing this morning, after the morning pill intake, was to set up a sharpening station that my back could handle. On the kitchen stove, we have a wooden tray. It is to cover the elements when the stove is not in use. Thanks to the height of the tray on the stove, I could set up the oil stones and sandpapers. Couple chisels needed a refresher on the grinder, but most just need some work on the stones and a final polish at 2K grit. Wound up doing 9 chisels, but not the goug...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1660 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1685 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 226 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 201 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries