Making the sail was an ideal time to overly complicate and over think the process… But I resisted my instinctive need to make things hard and just went with Shorty’s recommended measures and used two tape measures to define the shape of the sail. I just swung the ends of the tapes in their respective arcs until both ends met and voila a leg o mutton sail. Dead easy and fast. Shorty recommends duct taping along these lines and then cut along the tape. My first thought was to la...
The partner and step line up nicely. I had a bit of a surprise when I discovered the mast was a bit thicker further up and would not fit through the partner. A bit of work with the block plane and all was good. There is a bit of reinforcing yet for the mast but it looks pretty good. I have the brace pieces cut, they just need to be painted and then mounted. I bored out the holes for the pintle bar. I ran into a bit of an obstacle in that I had not really factored in the bul...
This the mast step. When I fabricated the main part it looked pretty good, then I dry fitted it and realized the partner’s hole was about 5 mm out of line. The small piece there is to shim the step out the correct? distance. These are the pieces for the rudder mount. The pieces will be laminated at the forward edge allowing the rudder to be sandwiched between the outside pieces. There are no real clear plans on Shorty’s site on how to build a rudder so I am just going...
Well no pictures this evening. I managed to get a little shop time in, worked on the leeboard mounts, and the step for the mast. Those are ready for gluing in. I temporarily fixed my ROS but the bottom popped out again so I guess it’s time to shop for a new sander. I still have the old B&D half sheet sander of my Dad’s which is just shy of 412 years old and it still works, why can’t a three or four year old sander that spent much of the time in a drawer keep working ...
Days when I do stuff like this I move a whole lot more carefully and really plan out any work with sharp spinny bits. Once I remedied the goof I managed to finish my mast step. A buddy of mine came over after work to check out the progress on 816 and of course we talked about all manner of sailing things. Phil had some really good advice about strengthening my mast/locker bulkhead and not add too much weight. We also had a really good discussion about rigging 816, and I think he ...
816 isn’t really ready for this step but I had to see what it would look like with the mast:-) I am actually glad I did this because I identified a significant flaw in my build. There is significant torque applied to the step and parter so with the way I’ve mounted the partner on the 3/8 bulkhead it is clearly too weak to sustain the kinds of forces that it needs to. I will need to re-work the bulkhead and step. I left the bulkhead free floating at base, in retrospect th...
Had just about finished sanding 816 in preparation to painting when my ROS decided to spill its guts. It was weird there was no indication it was going to fail, just bam mid sanding the bottom pops out. The motor didn’t stop or buzz just no more sanding pad. I was going to see if I could get it back together but I am going to push on with the painting. The choice of paint colours is what was left in the house from various other DIY projects. I am gaining some painting ex...
It has been a hectic week here. Last weekend I drove over 1500 km round trip to attend my cousin’s 40th wedding anniversary, then my mother came for a visit for a couple of days, Wednesday was family day Thursday was cold raining but I managed to do a bit on hull 816, Friday was mostly taken up with paperwork…a 24 page report on my holidays! Saturday I got back into the shop finished epoxying the tops of the bouyancy tanks and the bottom, the bow and stern. This is where I lef...
My apologies to the Irish Rovers:-) for the weak reference to their song about the Pig & Whistle :-) This isn’t work I accomplished this week but on Saturday, the day before yesterday. I am experimenting with different gudgeon designs and I have the notion I want to build it from wood. I initially had a really complicated multi-part gudgeon but as Paul (shipwright) has explained to me there is not a lot of force on these rudder components. I was quite pleased with my mas...
As I closed in the bouyancy tanks I wasn’t really happy with the fit of the lid. I’d allowed a little wiggle room in the width of the top to line everything up nicely (I’m learning not to just rely on measuring:-) so I’d expected some over lap. The funny part is when I got things nailed down the overlap wasn’t all on one side. One the starboard side I’d nailed the inboard bulkhead first for the whole length and then pushed and pulled to fit the top to th...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries