This project is really finishing nicely. I just need to mill out boards for the benches, and add some center supports to flatten out the top a little better. Very happy with it so far. I started finishing it with Teak oil, but I don’t like the yellowing affect it has on the juniper….any suggestions on what would be a good outdoor finish?
My mom bought a simple 2×4 picnic table a few years ago and the top has not held up well. The boards are twisted and warped, and I thought it would be a good “test” subject for a new top using an idea that I have had for a while. Juniper grows with a very rapid taper, and finding trees big enough to make wide straight edge boards out of are few and far between. So I had the idea of alternating wide/skinny ends of the boards and leaving the live edge intact to give me the wide...
I was struggling with how I wanted to build the frame for this table when it occurred to me that I had a whole pile of cut offs that are left over from the outside of the logs after milling out boards. Perfect!! I have a flat side to work with for joining the frame together which simplifies trying to scribe logs together, and it cut the work of harvesting more logs or cutting more boards. Always nice when you can find a use for scraps!!
As I was working on the sculpted top, I found a bullet that I somehow milled in half with my chainsaw. I’m sure that was pretty hard on my chain at the time as the jacket of the bullet is still intact!! Busy week so I didn’t get as much done on this project as I would have liked, but it is coming along nice. All 4 boards for the top are almost done shaping, and all the material for the frames has been rough cut to size. I spent an evening building 8) 4’...
Well, all the great compliments from the replacement top (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/68932) have helped inspire me to keep my motivation up to build a full custom table. So I intend to keep in progress pics through the entire build of this table. I hope you enjoy following along! Step 1: Mill out the boards from these ugly logs. Step 2: Lay out the boards how I want them to fit together, and then cut to length. I went with 7’-1” on this project as it worked well...
Well, its all together and ALMOST finished…..I ran out of teak oil before I could step back and say “DONE”, and all the stores were closed by this time. I’ll have to finish it up tonight. This will be the final blog before I post this as a project. Overall, I’m very happy with it, and have gotten very positive comments on the design. I rushed the final assembly more than my usual critical eye would allow, (which means I cut corners on finish sanding ALL surfaces...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1041 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1063 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 197 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries