Right after she loaded all of her things into her new kitchen bureau, my wife was cleaning the sawdust off of her Jars of things that I had borrowed and putting them in her new spice rack. She glanced at the side of the refrigerator, which is just right of her new bureau, which sits between that and and her stove, and decided that she needed a utensil hanger there. What she described like a piece of plywood nailed to a 2x that extended out from the end of the cabinet where it came up agains...
I posted a picture of a Craftsman Style Frame i made and i thought if anyone was interested, i have a two part video series of how i did it. The main jointery is the use of a half lap. It’s a simple and yet strong joint. I decided to show how to make it using both power tools and hand tools. Hope you enjoy it.chad stanton
While my leg vise hardware is still being machined to mate screw and the wheel I’ve been working on the legs. In particular got ready for draw-boring. My target was 10mm pegs (3/8” approx). I made them from rough oak stock: first planed it a little, then ripped into beams and planed square blanks about 11×11mm (7/16” approx), so I had about 1mm allowance (1/32” approx). Then I rounded them roughly with the block plane: At this point dowels w...
The dining table is well underway, with the frame assembled and equilizer slides installed. I think there are some misconceptions about equilizer slides. They work for pedastal tables, or any design where the legs are stationary when opening the table. I had to do some searching to find slides that would accomodate this 46” wide by 104” long table. It will have two 12” leaves, and is 80” long when closed. The other spec I needed was...
Many years ago a dowel plate or dowel sizer was a pretty common thing to find in a furniture or cabinet shop. Even then, the diameter of the dowel would change with humidity and they weren’t always the correct size so the dowel plate corrected that. If you want to have dowels of a non commercially available species like Ebony, you could make your own. Well, things have changed and the dowel plate is a hard to find item. Lie-Nielsen has a beautiful one in their catalog but it has ...
A lot’s happened lately! I pegged the long stretchers. Funny story. In my mind, the pegs in Schwarz’s Roubo were 5/8”. I didn’t have a 5/8” bit, but I had a very nice 3/4” one, so I used that and made 3/4” pegs. I figure, maybe they’re a touch bigger than the ones Chris used, but hey, no biggie. Just the other day I realized: Chris used 3/8” pegs!!! Haha, oh well, the Schwarz has said that you can’t overbuild a workbench, right? ...
(don’t miss the video at the bottom!) I’m currently building a rack for lumber shorts and cutoffs under 3’ in length. I wanted to do a bit more than slap together Home Depot plywood and solids this time, though. One small ‘extra’ will be exposed pegs through the sidewalls to help support the thin ply shelves (they’re also getting #0 biscuits – I like overkill). These pegs will be flush-sawn, sanded, and finished with the rest of the rack, and most ...
Almost Done> As I was reading the previous posted blogs on the construction of the Summer 2007 LumberJocks Joinery, I noticed that I failed to complete the posting of the latch for the cabinet door. Not only had I failed to post it, I had failed to install it. I wanted to use something like a clothes pin. The little loop that catches the wire for hanging clothes. I had created my wire simulation out of wood. This was installed in the end of a shelf board. The space behind the Holl...
—————————————— UPDATE 3-28-2012:After Posting my Casket Stories and Photos, I have been overwhelmed by the response from readers. There is quite a thread of folks wanting to help in their funeral plans by building their own casket, or building one for a close friend or family member. All of this internet attention lead me to a teaching invitation at the John Campbell Folk School in the summer of 2011 on t...
I have really enjoyed looking at all the completed projects. They are truly awesome. I installed the pegs last week. I used a shim to help prevent installing the pegs too deep. It worked well. I put tape around the peg mortises to help in the clean up of any glue squeeze out. For the finish I used a combination tung oil and urethane mix. Three coats so far and with some 400-600 grit smoothing in between another 2-3 coats should do it. You can see some of the details of the peg...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries