I have just started and am already realizing that this is going to take a looong time. This is the first large project I have taken on that requires all the material to be milled. I usually use a good bit of plywood because the real stuff is so expensive. On top of that, when my buddy Anthony asked me what size I wanted I said “just make it all 5/4”. I quickly realized how dumb that was ‘cause now I have to glue three pieces together for all the leg assemblies instead of two...
I know I said it would be a while but I just can’t stay away. My wife says I am obsessed and she is getting jealous. I have got to get this thing done before she kicks me out! I had to work today and didn’t think I would get a chance to get to do anything in the shop but luckily I did. I fitted half of the tenons for the stretchers yesterday so I was really itching to finish. The first thing I did was hit the water stones. Man, that pecan is rough on your tools. I am going to have...
From left to right-Orange wood – gnarly, twisted top end Oak – burly crotch wood,Mahogany – straight grainedPecan – (I think) wormy holedOak (again) – straight grained Any suggestions on cutting the oak trunk to manageable (12” bandsaw) size? I have a 14” electric chainsaw.
I can’t believe what I did. The picture says it all!....I was concentrating so hard on the thumb nail feet that I didn’t notice the tracking on the sander! When I was finished banging my head on the table saw I moved the sander to my shop cart. I guess, on the bright side I didn’t have the top milled to the final thickness. It will just have to end up about 1/8” thinner than planned because of my stupid rookie mistake.....The base is coming along though. I really like ...
I finally got done with the base. When I started I really didn’t know how this pecan wood turn out looking when it was finished. I really like it! All the worm holes and spalting really make it unique. I don’t think I would want to build a big piece of furniture out of it but as a workbench it’s great. Know that the base is done I’m really excited to move on to finishing the top. All the wedges are ready to go. Just before the finish goes on we made our mark....
what started out as a passing storm turned into the revenge of the tree onto my house, it was about 9:30 pm and i was going to bed…i started to read and then i heard and felt what i thought was a train hitting the house…my house sits on an elevated foundation and it built fairly strong, the floor are 2×10’s they are nailed and also strapped to 6×6 beams…so the floor and the wall stood the impact. It was pouring down rain with thunder and lightning all around ...
I have undertaken my first solo project without having someone around watching that knows more about making stuff than me – the garage was empty except for me. My wife had requested, about 1 year ago, that I make this bench for the hallway leading to the laundry room that would be a place where we can sit, take off our shoes and have a place to store them. Since I was slow to act, she bought a wicker basket that shoes get thrown in. Finally, I started on this project over Labor day week...
Gluing up was quite an interesting time with so many pieces to go together at once. I did the ends first then dry fitted everything to make sure all of the joints would fit up square prior to adding the glue and clamping (using the offcuts from the legs when clamping) I have added one coat of Danish Oil but need to get the lid on before I can finish the handles and add finish to them.
As promised, I’ve gotten some photos of old Moby into useable condition. Evidently when the contractor felled the tree to make room for the house (interesting priorities!) he squared one end: The other end has what I’ve affectionately come to call the “Lobster claw.” This is one side of it: And the other side: This is a photobucket-enhanced view of the whole thing. You can almost hear it doing a sort of inverted gasp for air… The patter...
Picked up a rip saw blade at a local antique store for $5.00. 5 ppi, and in good shape. Only one broken tooth, but it’s right at the heel so it won’t be an issue Decided to make a D8-ish handle out of some pecan stock…liked how the light wood contrasted with the dark blade. Here it is after a test fit with the rough handle.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries