Well work picked up for a while so I haven’t had time to post any progress till now. In this post I will show what I had to do to get the Veritas Twin-Screw vise mounted. I originally was planning on using the Lie-Nielsen Twin-Screw vise but had to change when I realized the dog holes would interfere with the chain. The biggest issue with the change was that the instructions for the Veritas vise said you needed to have 1-1/2” of clearance from the bottom of the top for the receive...
I thought I would be done by now but between work and waiting on my end vise I haven’t got there yet. I have everything as far as I can go, with out the vise. So here is where it’s at. This is the jig I used to cut the tenon on the end of the top.Before After In this shot you can see how I was trying to get as much length out of the top as possible. Here I have the dado in the skirt before I cut the dove tails. I spent a lot of time thinking about the dove tail layo...
I thought I would post an update on the bench. It has taken me a while to get the top together because I didn’t want to have any mistakes. I’m pretty happy with the results even though I did end up with two issues with the dog holes because of over sight. The first thing I did was to get the pattern makers vise and a set of square dogs so I could get it laid out the way I needed it to be. Here are the pieces before I cut the square holes. This is my TS sled with the 3 deg...
I have undertaken my first solo project without having someone around watching that knows more about making stuff than me – the garage was empty except for me. My wife had requested, about 1 year ago, that I make this bench for the hallway leading to the laundry room that would be a place where we can sit, take off our shoes and have a place to store them. Since I was slow to act, she bought a wicker basket that shoes get thrown in. Finally, I started on this project over Labor day week...
I finally got done with the base. When I started I really didn’t know how this pecan wood turn out looking when it was finished. I really like it! All the worm holes and spalting really make it unique. I don’t think I would want to build a big piece of furniture out of it but as a workbench it’s great. Know that the base is done I’m really excited to move on to finishing the top. All the wedges are ready to go. Just before the finish goes on we made our mark....
I know I said it would be a while but I just can’t stay away. My wife says I am obsessed and she is getting jealous. I have got to get this thing done before she kicks me out! I had to work today and didn’t think I would get a chance to get to do anything in the shop but luckily I did. I fitted half of the tenons for the stretchers yesterday so I was really itching to finish. The first thing I did was hit the water stones. Man, that pecan is rough on your tools. I am going to have...
The other day I got a call from a buddy of mine named Von Hatcher. Von used to sell framing lumber back when I framed houses. Anyway, he said he went to work for Suawnee Lumber and that I should come check it out. I had some time Friday so I did. While I was there drooling over all that lumber, I got to talking to another customer there. It turned out he was a fellow lumber jock and was following this blog!! I thought that was really cool! Hopefully, my new buddy Ryan and I can get together a...
I can’t believe what I did. The picture says it all!....I was concentrating so hard on the thumb nail feet that I didn’t notice the tracking on the sander! When I was finished banging my head on the table saw I moved the sander to my shop cart. I guess, on the bright side I didn’t have the top milled to the final thickness. It will just have to end up about 1/8” thinner than planned because of my stupid rookie mistake.....The base is coming along though. I really like ...
I have just started and am already realizing that this is going to take a looong time. This is the first large project I have taken on that requires all the material to be milled. I usually use a good bit of plywood because the real stuff is so expensive. On top of that, when my buddy Anthony asked me what size I wanted I said “just make it all 5/4”. I quickly realized how dumb that was ‘cause now I have to glue three pieces together for all the leg assemblies instead of two...
From left to right-Orange wood – gnarly, twisted top end Oak – burly crotch wood,Mahogany – straight grainedPecan – (I think) wormy holedOak (again) – straight grained Any suggestions on cutting the oak trunk to manageable (12” bandsaw) size? I have a 14” electric chainsaw.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries