I accomplished quite a bit yesterday. Sometimes, when I am working on the office part of the business (correspondence, paperwork, etc.) it seems that I am treading water. I know my blogs aren’t as exciting to you all when I talk of the mundane parts of the operation of my business, but it is essential and necessary part of my job that helps me to expand and grow. I had some promising payoff yesterday that may be a very positive things for me. I almost don’t want to even mentio...
So I know I need to work out the sliding mechanism. 3 goals here: 1. Make sure the components fit into the space I’m allocating for it.2. Ensure all the pieces work and it is easy to slide up and down.3. Make sure the ironing board is level in the down position. Here are all the components (minus the door which I will build as part of the Murphy bed complex). I built a wall (16” stud mockup) and starting assembling the pieces I had cut from my measurements in post #1...
Hello all. The first order of the day was to route the bottom pieces and the lipping slots in the inner sides OH! Problem. The lipping slots go right through the corner posts. I should have routed before I put these on. No matter there’s always the spare stock I always make. I cut the old posts off. Finish sanded and sealed the insides of all four sides and the top. As for the corner posts I made and glued new ones on. I made a bottom out of 3mm birch ply and glued ...
So 1st fallback reached yesterday. I have to border the pattern. For the pattern glue-ups I used a traditional glue, PVA. This is good for this purpose but if I had mitred all edges (and the top) the tiny 1mm squares at each corner might not have held on at all. Worse still is the possibility that they would chip off over time. So bordered it is. Using 7mm strips of Purpleheart I set out the patterns to give me an overall idea of what it would look like. I then labelled everything s...
In my last blog I showed a pattern which I am determined to try. It is made of rectangles from 1mm to 12mm in size. Due to a shortage of materials (Ebony) I am making the pattern from 1mm to 10mm. This is because my aim is to make a box using this pattern (or parts thereof) on all visible faces. This is the tallest order I have placed on myself to date. ImpossibleII now seems a fond memory. Machining wood down to 1mm square is a nightmare. A bit like I imagine tightrope walking to be a...
I’ve been playing again. with CAD this time. I’ve come up with this. Not original by any means but I think it might appear on a box in the near future Any thoughts? You may need to back off a bit to get the full effect!
You are not going to believe how simple this glue-up is going to be. Some of you will not believe it will work. Others, possibly some of the cutting board purists, will say I’m cheating. Frankly Scarlet I don’t give a damn (name that movie). This is a box top and all its joints don’t have to be impervious to water, like a cutting board. I will flood the top of the pattern with a clear epoxy finish ultimately, anyhow. These are the players in this little drama. Left, t...
Today I sanded, I sliced, I diced and I shaped. I was not at home to Mr. Cockup. Today I’m fierce and to the strains of ‘Fearless’ off, Pink Floyd’s Meddle off I went. All this took just two hours.. First I sanded all the slices to 6.93mm then I glued them together (superglue, most precise and quickest) Then I shaped the triagle ends on the disc sander The I fulfilled my promise of yesterday and chopped them into little pieces Back to the...
Not a threat. A lyric from an early Pink Floyd album. But I am going to do it, to the blanks. There’s some trig. in this part of the blog. If you don’t know Trigonometry youll just have to trust me. First this is what came out of the glue-up. Now I’d pre thicknessed both the Sycamore and the purpleheart on the side which will be triangle shaped before gluing up so all I have to do now is thickness the other side, to 4mm. I do this by trimming the end off in the table ...
As I sit down to write this morning, I feel as if I have little of interest to talk about. I pretty much am finishing up the things that have to go out to the magazine. I can proudly say that in the box I am sending three projects and two articles. The box won’t go out until tomorrow, but it will ensure my presence in another couple of issues of the magazine. How many? I don’t know. I guess that is up to the editors and the amount of space they need to fill. I can usually cou...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1182 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1204 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- MsDebbieP - 299 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 292 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries