Today I sanded, I sliced, I diced and I shaped. I was not at home to Mr. Cockup. Today I’m fierce and to the strains of ‘Fearless’ off, Pink Floyd’s Meddle off I went. All this took just two hours.. First I sanded all the slices to 6.93mm then I glued them together (superglue, most precise and quickest) Then I shaped the triagle ends on the disc sander The I fulfilled my promise of yesterday and chopped them into little pieces Back to the...
Online Scroll Saw Class - Incredibly Fun Adventures in Scroll Sawing #2: Basic Supplies and (EGADS!) Homework!
Well, it looks like we are going to have a great group here! I am really happy with the enthusiasm of everyone who wants to participate, and also the cheerleaders. You can all get back in your seats now and we can start to get down to business. I wanted to get this post up here by the weekend so that if you need to get some supplies to start, you will have some time to do so. One thing that I really like about scroll sawing is that it takes very little ‘equipment’ to mak...
Following on from yesterday’s ‘Trip to the Wood Shop’ let me show you where the Escher vibe has taken me.Well to this A beautifully simple, yet impossible pattern. Look at it long enough and you’ll see why the three dimensional world it represents is impossible. Even if you accept that its possible as a pattern in two dimensions ( you have to you’re looking at it) then the long slim rods and the triangles are possible to make in wood but the cubes that the...
Not a threat. A lyric from an early Pink Floyd album. But I am going to do it, to the blanks. There’s some trig. in this part of the blog. If you don’t know Trigonometry youll just have to trust me. First this is what came out of the glue-up. Now I’d pre thicknessed both the Sycamore and the purpleheart on the side which will be triangle shaped before gluing up so all I have to do now is thickness the other side, to 4mm. I do this by trimming the end off in the table ...
You are not going to believe how simple this glue-up is going to be. Some of you will not believe it will work. Others, possibly some of the cutting board purists, will say I’m cheating. Frankly Scarlet I don’t give a damn (name that movie). This is a box top and all its joints don’t have to be impervious to water, like a cutting board. I will flood the top of the pattern with a clear epoxy finish ultimately, anyhow. These are the players in this little drama. Left, t...
So 1st fallback reached yesterday. I have to border the pattern. For the pattern glue-ups I used a traditional glue, PVA. This is good for this purpose but if I had mitred all edges (and the top) the tiny 1mm squares at each corner might not have held on at all. Worse still is the possibility that they would chip off over time. So bordered it is. Using 7mm strips of Purpleheart I set out the patterns to give me an overall idea of what it would look like. I then labelled everything s...
Hi all; I always mention my buddy Bruce, and here’s a post dedicated to him, (even though he’s still alive) knock on wood. He has no experience in wood carving, other to set a hinge or something. When we were building the Philadelphia Pie Crust Table, he would work on parts like turning the post, laying out the pattern for the top, as well as cutting it out and hollowing the middle of it with a router. The 1 inch thick board becomes about 5/8 inch in the middle are...
Hello all. The first order of the day was to route the bottom pieces and the lipping slots in the inner sides OH! Problem. The lipping slots go right through the corner posts. I should have routed before I put these on. No matter there’s always the spare stock I always make. I cut the old posts off. Finish sanded and sealed the insides of all four sides and the top. As for the corner posts I made and glued new ones on. I made a bottom out of 3mm birch ply and glued ...
I’ve been playing again. with CAD this time. I’ve come up with this. Not original by any means but I think it might appear on a box in the near future Any thoughts? You may need to back off a bit to get the full effect!
I’m wondering what you think about my adding some color to this chip carved plate. From the start I’d planned on adding a light, transparent, oil-based green color to the leaves and red to the berries.But now that I’ve gotten this far in the finishing process, I really like the way it looks and I’m chickening out when it comes to doing anything else to this chip carving.What do you think?
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries