Started the glue-up yesterday, finished it today. Yesterday: I started by checking the fit for all the pieces. First up, the panels. And they don’t fit, which was expected. The groove has round ends while the panel is square: A few ways to fix this, but I picked up the mortise chisel and mallet to square off the ends of the grooves. The panels fit now The panel was a pretty tight fit, but I can address that later. Glued tenons into the first rail And then the rail into...
When I got up this morning, Spawn had coughed up a hairball overnight. Right in front of my coffee station. I think he knows I’m writing about him. The next step in the door build was the panels. First making the panels and then cutting grooves into the rails and stiles to accept the panels. The panels are 1/2” MDF. I’ll spare the reader the details on cutting the sheet down. Suffice it to say, I’ve got 5 identical panels sized to fit their openings. I decided...
Time for another update on the mini hand tool cabinet. These may start to come less frequently, since I am now involved in multiple Christmas Time projects as well (all of which I will post either in the Blog or at the very least in the Projects area early on in the new year). With all of the cabinet sides made, the next step I took was to make the panels for the back and for the door. My original plan was to find some 1/4” plywood for the panels, but I was enjoying using solid pine ...
I was able to spend some time last weekend preparing the boards I milled to be glued into panels. In the original plane I posted at the beginning of this series, the depth of both the wall-mounted portion and door were 4-1/2”. Since 2×4’s are about 3-1/2”, I decided to make one panel for each side just over 9” with three 2×4 boards, and then rip them in half. This more efficiently uses the wood than doing each 4-1/2” panel separately, and also gives som...
I am currently working on a Jewlery Box and had some questions. I will be making the box out of Sapele with a bookmatched Birdseye Mapel panel for the top which will be held in a dado/groove. The bottom panel will be Sapele and secured the same way. The corners will be mitered with Wenge keys to help strengthen the joints. My question is should I glue in the bottom and top panels? The top and bottom panels for the box will be about 1/4 inch. I know that when making cabinet doors in the past I...
After coming across a glue up thread yesterday, I was inspired to glue up a panel.I didnt take any pics of the actual glue up last night (DOH), but here is a panel I threw together with some reclaimed pine scraps I’ve been picking up every so often at random. I ran the handyman H1205 over the edges on the really rough pieces, then the block plane took out some knots, and finished with the #4 Stanley T13, which is cutting like butter after some tuning and filing down a ding at the...
The project for my photographer friend is coming along, at least far enough to bother documenting it. He’s fallen in love with making ambrotype images. He’s got all the developing equipment in a dark room setup in his garage, and he’s asked me to make him a portable dark box that will enable him to develop images anywhere. His idea is to start a side business doing portraits at conventions, fairs, and whatnot. I decided that a frame and panel box would be fun to try, s...
In this tutorial, Scott shows in much more detail how to craft the puzzle-cut shelf. This technique can also be used for dresser sides, door panels, or anywhere else you might need a really awesome panel. See the full tutorial by following this link: http://logfurniturehowto.com/tutorial/learn-how-to-make-a-puzzle-cut-shelf/
Well I started this blog section to keep track of how things were going. They went from good to ok to bad. When putting it all together it seemed like nothing was fitting up to square. I started using only hand tools and have started making some decent progress. I have the back panel all glued up, the front frame is ready for final assembly and the sides stiles and rails are all set for the panels. Today I got out to the shop and did some work on them. This is my first raised panel (machine o...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1585 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1610 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries