Hey guyzz, So little time these days with all the work at the university. But I finally settled for a while to build a wooden clamp for test tubes to make a first measurement of the temperature at which xylindein, the pigment produced by Chlorociboriae, permanently loses its color. As you all know, sanding wood leads to quite high temperatures at the surface, and I had previously noticed that xylindein was destroyed when bandsawing stained wood with a freakin’ dull blade from hell...
My second oldest daughter needs a birthday gift and I have only days to complete it. Don’t you love those last minute projects? She is into carving, but only has the carving set with the “end blades”. So why not build a carving knife. So last knight I started with a block of pallet wood, a rod of 3/16 brass and a sawzall blade.The shape I was going for is shown here: I took a sawzall blade and cut it in half with a sheet metal cutter. (this stuff is hard to cut) After ...
I posted the other day a completed project I made for the wife’s birthday. She has now populated the rack, so here is what it was designed to look like in use: Note that on some of the spools there is a bobbin containing the same thread. This was the key ingredient: she wanted to keep the bobbins with the spools providing the thread and color. I wasn’t surprised to see that she doubled up on bobbins for some of them. I asked her if she would want to do this before starting ...
So quite awhile back I was blessed with a Walker Turner 14” bandsaw for just $100 bucks, which I lauded as my way to finally resaw all these cool boards I’ve ammassed- and to this day I still cant get the blade to stay on. Harumph! So I finally got fed up and said to myself, how hard can it be to resaw by hand!? Since I got my Disston D-7 5 1/2 ppi rip saw, I haven’t even tried! My previous attempts were so awful, that I was discouraged… I started with a test p...
I have a lot of pallet wood and enjoy using it to make new things. I also bought a bag of used handles not long ago, so I figured I would incorporate them into the new projects which are trays. Four of the handles were soaked in a mixture of vinegar and water with a ball of steel wool thrown in the tub which makes the handles look old and rusty. They are attached with screws from the inside after the tray is made. The pallet wood is planed and trimmed to size. Holes remain from the or...
OK, I was not going to start this knife for a while, too busy….. but I could not help myself. (I might need help) I found a piece of spalted pallet wood. With heart and sap wood. I think it’s kinda pretty. (This one is for you Jusfine ) I bought a lathe about a year ago ($75, garage sale, including the chisels), but I never dared to turn it on. Well, last night was the night, and I am still here. For the knife I used an old sawzall blade, the same as I did with the ca...
This blog posting shows the order and way in which I create something. I hope it helps others… I found a few shutters at a local place where they sell previous used items of all sorts. I also have a huge amount of pallet wood in storage just waiting for me to make something out of. Here’s a rough sketch of what I have in mind: What I need to do is work around the door. Since the door is already made (normally I make a door to fit an opening) I need to make the c...
Continuing from yesterday Shutter and Pallet Wood Cupboard - Part 1 I’m going to dry fit the sides and back in order to measure for the shelf and bottom. As you can see, this is like putting a puzzle together, it’s very creative and mathematically challenging, two things I enjoy! I need to put dadoes in the sides and back where the middle shelf and bottom panel will be. I am using my 3/8” diameter router bit and my router table. The middle shelf groove is ab...
This week I embarked on my latest creation adventure which I made out of pallet wood boards… a patio table with benches! I wanted this to look prestine and clean while maintaining a sort of rustic feel that the pallet wood gives to it. So I went through my stock of pallet boards and pulled the best quality / matching sized boards I could find and used them in the project. The only things I bought for this project were the screws (I normally use the pallet nails for the ultimate recyc...
Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring #40: Outdoor ACU>RITE Digital Wireless Temperature Sensor Housing (Part 2)
It was never my intent to make this build into an attractive build. Functional is the priority. It is the only reason for going through all this work for a $10.00 item. But it’s not unusual for my build ideas to become runaway trains, sometimes with no way to stop safely (enter the music of Jethro Tull’s Locomotive Breath.) My intent was to make this a 100% free pallet wood build. I have brand new pine boards and studs I could have used. With a change in design—swinging sens...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries