The next step is cutting and installing the sides of the frame. This method includes building the frame to the top instead of building a frame then adding the top. It makes for perfectly smooth sides. The link to these pictures is not working but here is a link to the entire gallery. This is a great way to see all the pictures in one place. Cornhole Tutorial Measure the length of your boards, some boards cut by big box stores aren’t perfectly 48” and therefore you may ne...
As construction is complete, the bench is ready for painting. I used Zinssler BIN primer, the one with shelac, since I need to ensure the pine, especially knots, don’t bleed through. It’s pretty expensive, but I’ve heard quite a few good reviews. I found that this product was easy to use and dries quickly…in about 15 minutes. I used disposable 4” & 6” rollers to apply the paint. The downside is that the fumes are very strong. Fortunately, it was a...
1, 2 – skip a few – 99, 100 – skip a few more – 175, 176 dovetails later, quite a bit of sanding and the dresser (or is it a chest of drawers?) is ready for it’s paint job. There are only two parts left to make – the drawer pulls and the tills that will go in the small drawers. I’m figuring that the pulls and tills will keep me busy while the paint dries. The inside will be finished with shellac. I only have another three days at school for the summe...
In my recent blogs I posted videos on a Contemporary Clock that I built. While doing that I found some video I taped while finishing it. The face of the clock was finished with spray cans and the main assembly of the clock was stained with a spray gun. In the first part Ill show how I spray this cool looking stone paint on the face with black buttons.I really love spraying water based stains and dyes and in the next part Ill show you some of the basics to water based finishing.
Hello again, I’ve got quite a bit accomplished since my last post, but it took much longer than anticipated. I had to finish cleaning a few little pieces here and there and wipe off the never ending paint dust with mineral spirits. Once I’d clean a piece I’d tape it off, lots of masking tape and razor blades. The only pieces I have left are the pieces of the head. I have to clean up the head yet and probably replace the bearings, they felt good and sounded good but they prob...
So I stripped it last night, and a little more tonight until it was R rated. Primed some parts and put some Rust-Oleum paint on it. Got all the cast iron top parts waiting on the saw horses for me tomorrow (they will haunt me with all of their curves to clean). Figured out I could get the metal tags off the pieces with a little work so I didn’t have to tape them all off. I just have a sticker left on it that I dare not remove that is a list of patents that I think is pretty cool so I...
Probably not what I’d do on some projects, but on this one it was the perfect opportunity to let my daughter draw and paint the horse prior to sealing it. She was so excited helping out and painting it that it was all worth it. I basically let her complete freedom and a full set of brushes and water colors and away she went. Note to self – for painting a large surface better to use larger finishing type brushes and not art brushes as it took forever to just paint the main th...
Today I took my board game case out on a trial run. I learned a few things. People things it’s funny when you carry a large box around your neck and I need some handles. I also applied some magnetic paint and then a layer of chalk paint on the inside of the front board. I decided it being magnetic I can keep score sheets posted as well as write in chalk the score of the game. After the drying we put it through a test run and it works out great. I am excited for this project to be comple...
The summer program wraps up today. This summer saw the return of the butterfly bench. Students took all four group projects home to their families. Notice the recurring butterfly motif from last go-round. I think I’ll be making some linoleum stamps with this design on them at some point soon.The drums have been finished – lovely group of students to work with. I used a circ saw & guide to cut the 1/2″ drum cases (4 sides). We also discovered a neat way to spray paint our smaller obje...
This week in the shop, I got the chance to use up a few of the pine boards laying in the woodpile. My son got a picnic table out of the deal. The table is 24″ L, 11″ W & about 11″ H. You can catch a few other projects at www.woodshopcowboy.com. The table: The chair (the rails are too close together): The result as he knows it: A side shot of the chair. It’s a little skinny: I attached the top with a few screws. You can deduce the construction of the side with this shot....
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1296 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1318 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries