This is a jewelry box project for my Daughter’s 22 birthday at the end of the month. Due to the time I spent trying to plan this out, I didn’t get to start until the second week of August. I spent time with concepts in Sketchup and was going to get crazy with an octagon box, but I am glad I moved past that now. The two of us spent a Saturday morning running around town so I asked if she would mind a quick stop by my favorite wood supplier (Peachstate Lumber) In a ...
Last night after flattening the bench I couldn’t wait any longer to get some holes drilled in the top. I have been kinda dreading this part because it is one of those permanent type things in a major component of the bench. Earlier I had mentioned that I didn’t have a 3/4” auger bit for my brace…. well that turned out to not be true lol. The problem is that I can’t math. Turns out I have a 12/16” bit and for those of you following along that simplifie...
I FINALLY found enough free time between work shifts to get the back 2 legs and side stretchers attached. Since I glued up the toolwell before installing the back legs I wasn’t going to be able to drawbore them into place so I decided to wedge them instead. So a couple relief holes and a bit of saw work later they were ready to go but first I needed to do the long stretcher. Again, drill and offset the tenon.. make some pegs and get all my ducks in order for this operation since ...
I wanted to make something for my wife’s birthday and mother’s day, which fell on the same weekend this year. I have had this semi-spalted maple in my collection of wood so I cleaned it up for this project. Since it is nearly a requirement of mine, I decided to accent this project with some deep red padauk of which I always have on hand. If you have the need to buy something and do not already have one, get a drum sander. It’s at the top of my list of favo...
I got started attaching the base to the top last night. Only got about halfway through it because it was late and I didn’t want to rush through it and mess something up. But so far so good. This is mostly a short picture post but you should have an idea of what is going on here.. Once more flip and rotate the top.. Then measure out the side stretcher by the leg vise for clearance of the chain bracket.. Then got everything drilled and ready for drawboring...
Sorry it’s been so long between entries, two-a-day football practices sort of got in the way ;) I guess I’ll continue where I left off… While I was waiting for my steel to arrive from McMaster- Carr I moved my attention to the infill. I had to slightly re-size and refine my original drawing to the final bed angle(50 degrees) and plan out exactly where I wanted the bolts and how the infill would fit in. I used my new drawing to make some paper templates which I just gl...
Once the chop was shaped it was time to get started attaching the hardware to it and making some holes. I had hoped to have this completely finished by the end of last weekend but I missed that deadline by a day… close enough I think. First up was the parallel guide. I measured out the mortise and marked some holes to be drilled out. Then got my brace and bit out and hogged out the waste. Getting better at drilling straight holes :D Nearly all of them landed right on t...
Today was almost a wash. Had errands to run this morning and the boy had a Dr appointment this afternoon ANNNND I have to work tonight so not much in the way of free time in the shop but was able to get some progress made on the leg vise. And I am happy to report that no electrons were killed during todays progress :D I have some Galoot points to recover lol.. First things first I had to flip then rotate my top so I could get some measurements made and have access to the wagon vise. Fl...
Here I rough cut the sides I used a piece of oak dowel as the handle. A piece of mahogany for the bottom I used a piece of lightly finished cedar and a piece of maple with a live edge for the center separator I cut slots on the inside so the separator would fit in snug Here is the original image I found for the side panel label I converted it to a single color image and used a laser cutter to burn it into the wood. Here things are ‘doweled&...
Now that I have a list I suppose I have no excuse not to at least attempt to finish this thing. So this week I got started on list item #1… The stretchers. I had originally planned to build them out of the same ceder that the legs are made from but changed my mind in the name of weight and durability. So I rummaged through my pile of oak cut offs left from the top and found a slab just the right length for the long stretchers. I figured I would figure out what to do about the sh...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries