Sorry it’s been so long between entries, two-a-day football practices sort of got in the way ;) I guess I’ll continue where I left off… While I was waiting for my steel to arrive from McMaster- Carr I moved my attention to the infill. I had to slightly re-size and refine my original drawing to the final bed angle(50 degrees) and plan out exactly where I wanted the bolts and how the infill would fit in. I used my new drawing to make some paper templates which I just gl...
Once the chop was shaped it was time to get started attaching the hardware to it and making some holes. I had hoped to have this completely finished by the end of last weekend but I missed that deadline by a day… close enough I think. First up was the parallel guide. I measured out the mortise and marked some holes to be drilled out. Then got my brace and bit out and hogged out the waste. Getting better at drilling straight holes :D Nearly all of them landed right on t...
Today was almost a wash. Had errands to run this morning and the boy had a Dr appointment this afternoon ANNNND I have to work tonight so not much in the way of free time in the shop but was able to get some progress made on the leg vise. And I am happy to report that no electrons were killed during todays progress :D I have some Galoot points to recover lol.. First things first I had to flip then rotate my top so I could get some measurements made and have access to the wagon vise. Fl...
Here I rough cut the sides I used a piece of oak dowel as the handle. A piece of mahogany for the bottom I used a piece of lightly finished cedar and a piece of maple with a live edge for the center separator I cut slots on the inside so the separator would fit in snug Here is the original image I found for the side panel label I converted it to a single color image and used a laser cutter to burn it into the wood. Here things are ‘doweled&...
Now that I have a list I suppose I have no excuse not to at least attempt to finish this thing. So this week I got started on list item #1… The stretchers. I had originally planned to build them out of the same ceder that the legs are made from but changed my mind in the name of weight and durability. So I rummaged through my pile of oak cut offs left from the top and found a slab just the right length for the long stretchers. I figured I would figure out what to do about the sh...
I couldn’t wait till tomorrow to put the top together. This did not go without it’s fair share of oh sh#t moments one of which almost had me starting the whole thing over almost.. But I’m getting ahead of myself.. I had planned to use pegs instead of bolts. I am trying to keep the number of mechanical fasteners to a minimum on this so lets have a go at it.. Marked out the location of the peg holes and drilled just the end caps.. Then fitted them and marked th...
Had a bit more time this morning and late afternoon. I finished up building the legs then got them attached. Lot’s of cleanup work is required but the rest of my time will be spent making it just so. I decided to make the inside legs into triangles. It’s a lot less work, and as I understand it, sturdier. I go a little cleanup done of the top. I’m chomping at the bit to do some more work. Id be surprised if I could get her ready for finish in ano...
We last ended with the second dovetail and the end caps mortised for the tool well ends. After a week of no progress in the shop I finally had some time this weekend to get something done. To start I needed to cut the remaining dovetails so I would know where the dados should stop to not be seen on the out side of the bench. I am sooooo glad this is over with. I would love to say I got better with each one but I really didn’t. I did learn something new on each one but the mista...
Well, now that I am done distracting myself with mallets, saw benches and cleaning it is time to get back at this. I have set an arbitrary deadline of September(ish) for completion of this bench so it is time to ramp things up a bit. We left off with a partially fitted end cap in the last blog. A bit more progress has been made there. I have the Dovetails cut and “fitted (will require more plugs and shims.. perhaps by the 4th dovetail I will have this figured out?) As before I ...
Howdy, I finally found a bit of time to work on the table yesterday and Sunday. I built the underside of the top from larger pieces of cabinet grade plywood (That’s what I had). Then I added an extra layer to the bottom of that. I didn’t have any plywood that was large enough for the entire top so I overlapped the second layer. I made a style modification to the top to take care of the gigantic empty spots in the corners. Although you can’t see the final top design ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1581 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1606 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 197 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries