The keys and resonators are made and have a rough tune. It’s now time to get everything ready and do the final tune.We need to drill mount hole in the keys before we can tune, first we need to locate and install the suspension components. The glockenspiel taught me that location and spacing of the suspension is a critical step. Space the suspension to close and the keys rub against the suspension causing vibration noise and affecting the sound from the keys too far and there isn̵...
Time to start on the resonators. These are the pipes that hang below the keys and give the instrument its signature sound. The keys when struck sound like a musical note but they sound more like a piano than a marimba.I went with as thin wall PVC pipe as I could get locally. I believe for the 2” it was about 140psi and the 1 1/2” about 160psi. The plans give the length to cut as I cut them i wrote the note inside the tube to keep them straight. Once they were all cut glued th...
I have all Christmas presents ready and time to work on the Marimba again.When I left last I had moved the lower keyboard over an 1 1/2 for clearance. After final tune and drilling the keys I didn’t like the gap so I moved everything back an 1 1/4. It looks way better. I applied one coat of lacquer. The old adjustment The final. Keys are closer to the upper frame and just looks better. I need to quit over thinking these things. Time to rough tune the keys. the keys were ...
I’ve never done a music box before and now that I look at this mechanism, I think I could have done better. Too late now. What I have done is install this one and made the box so that I can upgrade the music mechanism later. I used my patented (not really) magnetic latch technique. I love using magnets to secure thing. These rare earth magnets are cheap, strong and easy to use. I cut a heart out of walnut for a split lid feature In order to figure out the velvet l...
Well, I didn’t just quit woodworking for two years. I just let that box sit. I did turn this chunk of mahogany into a bass guitar that same year, I just haven’t posted that project yet. Back to the music box. A longgggg time ago (~15 years ago) I purchased a music box mechanism to make a music box for my wife. It plays “It’s a small world” as we’ve been to Disney World a bazillion times and her favorite is the Small World” ride. Ob...
Like magic, all the mitre cuts are done. This part isn’t difficult, but it requires SUPER CAREFUL setup and no haste. Here it is folded back together. Everything looks good so far. I re tape it for glue up Only after it is all glued up do I see my small but significant error(s): My mitre cuts were a hair off. This caused small gaps along the sharpest edges. No going back now, so I decide to bevel out the edges to compensate. I am good at compen...
So, in 2014 I started the works for another box with no real idea of what I was after. I used Martin’s (BritBoxMaker) technique (see it here ) as I like to do. It’s a fantastic technique as Martin demonstrates in his work. combining Padauk with Cherry, I built the base boardwork for the mitre cuts: If you ever need justification for a drum sander, see me. I love mine and use it ALL THE TIME! I have the Jet 10/20 and I bought it about 8 years ago. I’d...
Building the frame was just straight forward woodworking, accurate measurement and square cuts. I built the frame out of cherry 1. I like cherry and how it darkens over time and 2. it was a $400 upgrade for frame on one of the commercial marimba websites. I can get cherry at a reasonable price here.The first thing is to make the two ends. Time to make the keyboard frames. This is one place where building the glockenspiel first really helped in understanding why and how important...
I have finally started on the marimba. I am following the plans I got from makeamarimba.com. They are a good plans although some times you have to translate from oz to usa english. I did a lot of searching on line on commercial marimbas and settled on padauk for the keyboard and cherry for the frame. The preferred wood for concert keyboards is rosewood. I called my hardwood supplier to get a price on rosewood when I was able to breath again I decided padauk was a good keyboard wood (most...
This build was a result of a challenge from another you-tuber named Opa Koster. I really liked the results and wanted to share the pictures and video here on lumberjocks. The bench was bought from a local antique store and was painted with some ugly green paint over the wood and cast iron. I had quite a task to remove that paint and primer from the cast iron. I liked the back cast iron piece but I envisioned a different project for it. So it has been saved it for a later project ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries