Our family likes to have outdoor movies on warm Friday nights. I’ve already built a projector ‘screen’ (piece of plywood painted white and framed with stained deck wood), and have had to construct a projector base out of a plastic storage bin (which contained the projector, the large speaker, and associated cordage) flipped upside-down and propped up to the appropriate angle. My thought is to build the attached image out of PTL. There are no measurements yet as I’m ...
Don’t let your air conditioning unit make your yard look bad. Build a simple, yet decorative screen to hide it. New Video! Like it, Share it, Subscribe to my channel. Blacksmithing and woodworking videos.
Last spring I decided to replace the pressure-treated deck on the back of our house. It was only 7 years old but had not faired well in the Ohio weather. The rails had warped badly and the deck boards were cupping in too many places to warrant a selective repair. This picture is actually of the biggest spider web I have ever seen, but it is the only before picture I have. After the ubiquitous weeks of planning (and much discussion over copious cold ones) I recruited one of my riding bud...
This was my second attempt to make a chair. What made this all unique for me was that I used templates, a router table and mahogany for the first time!The wood is from reclaimed church pews that I got off of Craigslist for almost nothing.Best part is that I can make another one with all the templates that were made – so we’ll see about the second one.The wood is 1 1/2 inch thick and I used Teak Oil.I am not happy with what I am calling the ‘cloudy ends’ wh...
I finished painting my patio planter boxes today. I like the way they came out. Thanks to the mortise and tenon, and panel construction, they are very sturdy. The were a lot of dadoes, mortises, tenons, and trim to cut for this project, but it was a lot of fun fitting all the pieces together. The colors are Martha Stewart’s “Monk’s Glove” and “Chianti” from Home Depot. Working on these in my garage attracted a lot of attention. As I was fi...
I’ve made a lot of progress on this project, but I’ve been so busy since the kids got out of school for the summer, that I haven’t had much computer time lately to update my blog. Here I have the three piece legs glued up and I’m testing the fit of the tenons. In this photo, I’ve finished the sanding all the parts, have the tenons glued into the legs, and have the panels installed. Now they are starting to look like planters. One of the changes I ma...
I started a new project today. I’m building two large patio planter boxes. The final dimensions should be close to 41” long x 24” wide x 20” high. I’m working from Woodsmith’s Outdoor Woodworking book. Here’s a link to their website: http://woodsmithstore.com/w1021.html There were a lot of cuts to make for this build. The diagrams for this project are pretty detailed and that’s a good thing because there is no cut list provided....
It took me nine days from start to finish, but I’m finally done with my Adirondack Patio Set. I am really tired of painting too! The chairs are sitting by the pool where they and I will be spending Memorial Day. Hunter and Huckleberry, my English Springer Spaniels, approve. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to format my photos so the right 1/3 of the picture doesn’t get cut off when I link them in my blog? If not, I guess I’ll have to make sure all the im...
I spent today assembling two chairs and the settee from the parts that I had cut yesterday. I was really in the grove today. Even more neighbors stopped by to check out the chairs. One of them asked so many questions, that I suspect he is on the board of my HOA and was trying to find out if I was operating a furniture building business out of my garage. I’m really happy with how chair #2 & #3 turned out. They are so identical, that even I have a hard time telling which one I ...
Today I spent the morning looking for enough wood to finish my Adirondack patio set. I went to two Lowes stores and pretty much cleaned them out of 1×3 Douglas Fir decking boards which is what I’m using for my seat slats and most of my back slats (I use one 1×4 for the middle back slat on the single chairs and 2 1×4s and 1 1×6 on the settee). The actual width of 2 3/8” is perfect and I just have to cut them to length. The problem is that there is never eno...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1295 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1317 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries