Yesterday I sold my Ridgid (sniff).Goodbye little buddy. But…... I got my new saw delivered and set up too… : ) manuals galoreand wired with a dedicated circuit today. But along with mo tools/mo problems I started feeling another space crunch. My bench is tall so I can’t outfeed onto it without lowering it or raising the saw. I got stressed about it last night and woke up thinking about my shop layout. So I reread a few articles and decided to try a diagonal la...
I got a large amount of work done yesterday, although it isn’t very exciting to write (or read) about. In preparation for my back up, I wanted to organize my computer and get everything where it belongs. I do this every month or so, but when I am really doing a lot of work it is very easy to have lots of files out of place. The biggest culprit is my “New Pictures” file. This is where I initially collect my reference photos for drawing. I usually use several photos at ...
So as I mentioned in my earlier blogs for this year’s ShopQuest I wanted to get rid of my wood rack. I decided that was going to take a major effort and instead to do a little better allocation of space on it and see how it works this year. I spent a weekend cleaning it up and finding space for some of the wood and getting rid of some of it as well. I am not a fan of throwing out wood but some of it just was not going to be useful at all. I narrowed it down a little further and used pie...
Whew! Last night I put the finishing touches on the new filter project for the dust collector. The biggest challenge was the bag and getting that all together. I emptied the old bag and contents into a huge 55 gallon contractor style (2mil thickness) garbage bag. When I went to put the system back together I just grabbed that bag and put it back together. There was a metal band around the old top filter, so I used that on the plastic bag and tightened it up. I anxiously flipped th...
Well I have began to undertake a major cleaning and reorganization of my shop. I have a number of goals that I want to accomplish in doing this, the main one is to fit my two newest additions (thanks to my wonderful wife and inlaws), I have a new Planer/Jointer and a dust collector that need space. So I have began with a few simple projects, my theory is they will help me whittle down my biggest project which is excess scrap wood I need to deal with. The first task was a finishing area as...
One of the future follow on project from the Norms Miter Bench project was to build in a sand paper organizer into one of the drawers of the bench.In early February a fellow LJ KnotWright told me about a liquidation sale from the shutdown of a Dell production line. I bought a bunch of things but one of the jewels was a 2’x2’ bin for PC components on the assembly line. I looked at it, knew that it would fit in one of my drawers and immediately re-purposed it in my head. With all of...
So this weekend we finally got the dust collector over in the final spot. I was anticipating perhaps working on my son’s gun rack, but he had other plans this weekend . . . but I knew I was going to need to do something about the dust collector hoses. When I moved the dust collector over the other night I noticed that the inlet side of the chip collector happened to fall right between the furnace ducts – the supply and returns. This gave me a great idea about running the 4 inch...
All the pieces for both units were cut out at the same time, so there was another waiting to be assembled. I spent some time today on that. Here it is next to the first one, waiting to be filled up: I’ll have to find a new place to hang my roller stand, but that’s okay, as I’ve only been able to hang one of the two here on its over-the-rafters hooks. Right now it’s immediately in front of the new shelving: I learned something interesting about French clea...
I have spent an insane amount of time contemplating the most efficient way to setup my small shop. My main goals were: Giving each benchtop tool its own dedicated home. I waste so much time pulling them out and setting them up whenever I have to switch modes. Maintain the working area around my table saw to allow easy breakdown of large sheet goods. Give my mitre saw, jointer and planer appropriate infeed and outfeed space. Set the tools at a comfortable working height to reduce ...
for those that have seen my shop it is immediately apparent that space and organization is not easy in my 10×10 shed. the terms 10 lbs in a 3 lb bag come to mind for the longest time i have been wanting to put up a decent sized pegboard in my shop but as always space was a problem. i have 2 smaller plastic ones near my RAS but that just isnt enough anymore now that my machines have displaced several of my storage cabinets. in the back i originally had a small set of shelves that ba...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1296 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1318 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries