So here’s the dilemma for the router, how to hold it in… I found the standard base way more friendly than the plunge base, but the plunge base is spring loaded, so I’m not sticking that in upside down. This means the base has gotta come out real easy. Sloppy drilled holes with aluminum pins act as hinges for the plywood support arms. The theory checks out and holds it solid while clamped like this, but it needs a little something more to keep it up. Here is the wa...
Early this morning the lights flickered to life in the shop revealing that deadly silence of a blank page. Much like a writer with a clean sheet of paper in the type writer (they still use those right?) or an artist with a blank canvass. I sat and stared at the blank sheet of paper I had lain out representing the door to be made. All too many undrawn lines lay waiting for me to choose just the right one knowing the wrong one would spell disaster. Well I guess just like making an omelet, a...
Making a divider insert for my daughter’s bookshelf, I measured how big it needed to be and cut the pieces on the TS. I cut interlocking slots on the router table so they would fit together. After I put the pieces together I decided to check it and… DOH! it’s an inch too short in the length! No idea* how I managed that because I definitely measured the distance between the blade and the fence. Having just written that I think I know. I think the length was my first...
I’m working on a rigid heddle loom and came across an issue cutting out the sides. To some of you more well-versed in the arts and sciences of template cutting, this is probably a ho-hum tip. For me, it was an “Ah hah!!” moment. I’d taken care to make sure the minimum radius in the template was .5” since that’s the bit I used for the cutout. What I didn’t take into account was the length of the arms on the router table guard/DC that resulted in ...
More progress on Jim’s light plates has occurred lately. Here’s the update: I took the piece of siding that he gave me and measured out where the crests and valleys were on the back of the wood and went to town with chisels and Kröktskaft. Boy, aspen sure does pare nice and smooth with little effort (well, sharp tools help too): In short order I had carved out a nice groove on each piece that fit perfectly onto the siding: With the exception of the fact that my plan ha...
Today I got started on a simple bench for my shop. I knew I wanted an island bench, and because space is a premium I thought I would keep it small, I figure I can always add on to it later if I need to. Plus, when I get a new space I can put casters on this and use it as a rolling work bench. I began construction by measuring the top of my small table saw. This would allow me to use the table as an outfeed as well if needed. (This would be my downfall as I explain later). I cut two 8-foot-...
In which everything is going along swimmingly, until it turns out I failed to buy the right size lag bolts. This slat is being attached with lag bolts instead of wood screws so that if we need to move the bed, I can take it off the ladder. The upper part of it will have a notch cut into to it to slide the rail into, and the rail itself will have some little wing-type what-nots on the butt end of it so it can’t slide back out sideways. So I’ve got it all bored, slide the ...
Headed down stairs after dinner this evening to start building my sawhorses. I started by sorting out the lumber and selecting which faces I wanted on top of the I-beams. Oops the first – I need to finish the cuts on two of the legs – they should be 30” and they measure 36” – I forgot to cut trim the ends. Well, I need more practice handsawing anyways. With the very bored help of my daughter, I built the I-beams. Next up, nailing on the legs. I ...
This is a quick commission I landed last week. The gal asked me to finish it asap so she can open up her new store. Cabinetry is one of those wonderful things which is really easy to do when you’re properly setup, and make a lot of money doing it. I’m not gouging her, but I’m definitely making my minimum hourly on this project. The design is simple enough. Divided storage areas for a reciept printer, wrapping paper, shopping bags, etc. The larger of the two lower left cub...
Well, ladies and gents, I just finished my first real project, ever. I built a plywood box once with my dad (model car paint booth), and I made a poplar frame for the area rug I keep in the garage, but those don’t really count. Today, after watching an episode of “The Router Workshop” on The woodworking channel, on trivets, I decided to make one. I had some 3/4 by 7 1/4 poplar in the attic that I got from the big box store. I had just finished my miter gauge (from Gord's...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries