My first project that I have posted is a 24×6x24 pipe smoking cabinet that holds (36) pipes. As shown below: Now its time to start on the base unit. I need storage for my pipe tobacco which is stored in a number of different sized and shaped containers. Mason jars of different sizes, round or square metal tins, gasket-lid jars, etc… That can be accomplished rather easily, I would think, with standard fixed or adjustable shelving. I also need storage for pipe cleaners, li...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zeld0aVWT24 In this video I go over how to mark out and design a pattern. I also cut the inaly out on the scroll saw this is really the only way to inlay is using the scroll saw. In the next video I will set the inlay into the wood but before that I will cut the hole for the inlay. www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com
The Michigan Woodworkers Guild arranged a tour of the Hardwoods of Michigan sawmill in Clinton Michigan today. It was amazing to see the process, they have kilns that hold 600,000 bd ft of lumber. They currently are drying 22,000,000 bd ft per year. a few more photo’s to come
Yesterday I assembled the foot and head boards on the Arts and Crafts Twin size bed. What a tedious job that turned out to be with 15 stiles on each. I had a clamping plan that didn’t workout very well on the foot board and I re-evaluated my plan when I did the head board and the new plan seemed a little better and it did go smoother. It’s just the fact that there are a lot of pieces that have to go together all at the same time. I think that the Queen size Arts and Craft bed that is my upcom...
I couldn’t wait till tomorrow to put the top together. This did not go without it’s fair share of oh sh#t moments one of which almost had me starting the whole thing over almost.. But I’m getting ahead of myself.. I had planned to use pegs instead of bolts. I am trying to keep the number of mechanical fasteners to a minimum on this so lets have a go at it.. Marked out the location of the peg holes and drilled just the end caps.. Then fitted them and marked th...
After noticing that the inside of my box picked up some color right through the Danish oil finish, I decided to experiment. I finished an oak stick with one coat of polyurethane varnish (right) and Danish oil (left). I left the center unfinished. The oak darkened nicely beneath the finishes. The Danish oil appears a bit darker than the varnish, but the image exaggerates this somewhat. Nice to know that you can sand and put at least one coat of finish on before fuming. I’d test it ...
I’ve started on my new solar kiln. The plans are from Virginia Tech’s solar kiln project. I’m using the modified plans for a 2000 bft kiln. The framing is 2X4 white pine, floors are made from 1” white oak, the outside siding is 1” white pine with 1” poplar over the pine. After the insulation is installed the inside will be covered with plywood. The supports are made from log sections of black locust. I’ll have more photos when it’s f...
Somethin I’ve been fiddlin with in the spare time I don’t have…. lol. Plus, it’s really experimental. It will be a handle of sorts, I hope….....It’s a piece o Walnut, split in half, with a piece o Oak laminated in the middle. The experiment is about the clear epoxy. A shout-out to him, goes here…. Superdave. He did a small project a while back with it, and he gave me the idea for it. Thnx, I appreciate all your projects. Anyway, it’s a jewel tha...
Stop having a lot of clutter on your desktop. This simple made desktop organizer will hold paper, bills, pens, and pencils. Made from 1/2 a pallet, and a crappy looking pallet to begin with. Please view the video HERE. As always, your likes, comment, shares and most importantly, your subscriptions are appreciated.
Since the ammonia fume diffused through the finishes so easily, I started to wonder how far it penetrated the wood. I had assumed the fume darkening would be a thing film, so I planed one of the edges to see how far it would go. I planed and planed, and found out that the fume had penetrated 1-2 mm through the face grain, and up to 10 mm on the end grain. You can see this in the planed edge shown above. The fumed finish on oak can easily stand up to extensive sanding. As always, please t...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1808 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 114 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1833 entries
- dbhost - 441 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 321 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries