I started the dresser like I start most of my projects, by laminating up some legs. I am making two dressers, so 8 legs were in order. I cut strips of 3/4” quartersawn red oak, and resawed a few of them. I could then glue 3 pieces together to get my leg width. Finally, I glued on 1/4” thick stock to cover my jointlines. After the glue dries, I plane the thickness of these veneers to about 3/32”. That way, I get quartersawn grain on all 4 sides. I then milled s...
I have been working on a pair of nightstands for a while now and I’ve been trying to sort out what stain to use on them. They are quartersawn white oak and reproduction Stickleys so I wanted a nice older look. I started digging around in magazines, books, online, etc… and I found some great resources – like Captain Skully's forum post. Unfortunately, viewing something over the net always makes it appear a bit “off” to me. So I decided that I needed to prototy...
Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.Thomas Edison, Inventor and Scientist (1847 – 1931) Often times in our woodworking shops we need to cut thin wood strips for our projects and in many cases the table saw is often considered the tool of choice by woodworkers. However, the band saw is proving to be the winner in my workshop especially when very thin strips of wood are needed for my wood projects such as wood ...
Hello again, On the last blog I made the guide block that guides the tap. Here I’ve made the tap and cut my first nut last night! I’m very excited about this accomplishment, this is really the most challenging part of the build and I think cutting the screw to fit will be pretty straight forward. If you’re like me, you like looking at pictures more than reading so here are some pics showing the process I followed with a brief explanation. Laid out thread pitch on paper (2...
While my leg vise hardware is still being machined to mate screw and the wheel I’ve been working on the legs. In particular got ready for draw-boring. My target was 10mm pegs (3/8” approx). I made them from rough oak stock: first planed it a little, then ripped into beams and planed square blanks about 11×11mm (7/16” approx), so I had about 1mm allowance (1/32” approx). Then I rounded them roughly with the block plane: At this point dowels w...
I’ve already blogged my AZ chevalet so this will be a simple “keep you up to date” one about “Chevy II”. When I moved to my current address and built my shop I was fortunate enough to run into a fellow who was moving and had to sell his hoard of local hardwoods. Long story short, I bought two heaped pickup truck fulls of a variety of local hardwoods, all two or more years air dried, for $200 and he helped me move it. I’m not usually a big Oak fan but as ...
Since 95% of my stock is recycled pieces of shipping crates, pallets, or cut offs donated from a now closed cabinet shop, I have to do a LOT of glue ups.I have plenty of wood, just not in “ready to build” sizes. This is about 1/4th of my supply. I keep the rest spread out at Grandma’s, my brother’s and everywhere else there is a little room. lol So to do any projects, glue ups have to be fast, easy and as simple as possible.I’ve made a set of clamping caul...
Workbench Build - Splayed leg French Bench #1: Top&Legs Jointed, Starting to layout the Wooden Screws.
A while black I posed a forum topic asking for folks advise on how to use this piece of wood for a workbench. A cabinet maker I bought my band saw from gave it to me for free. It was made from two slabs from a green oak tree so it cupped pretty bad. It had been used as a table for a restaurant. After assimilating everyone’s advice I decided I would cut out the piths, re-glue the top and use it to make a French workbench like Roy Underhill does in one of his shows. I love the splayed...
This is a blog requested by Douglas Bordner. Midnight Serenade started as an ordinary piece of straight grain oak. I carved an unusual shape to try and bring some interest to the grain. After shaping and sanding, this piece almost receive a traditional finish. The wood and grain were beautiful, but Douglas had a request that needed to be fulfilled. The next step was to apply two coats of Fiebing’s black leather dye. You could also use this technique to ebonize a piece. I t...
1. Beginning of the project… getting the 26 oak boards identical and laid out and glued up. 2. After a few hours of carving and shaping, with the star field cut (to scale of the overall dimensions). Still no glue-up at this time… Used my angle grinder with King Arthur and Arbortech wheels… 3. Used clear stain with dye added… took a few coats to get what I was wanting but it turned out well. 4. Glue up completed nothing left but the field of stars and a fin...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1582 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1607 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries