It is dyed, stained and sprayed. Now for the final assembly. There is a lot more on this project, as in final assembly, then on most of my projects. I had to add the lights in the piers, headboard and header. I usually use curio lights behind the shelves, but I wanted to try some long florescent lights this time. I am still waiting for the glass for the top and the smoked glass doors. They should be ready today and I can post the finish project. Here are a couple pictures: Fo...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2512/3758156271_02842865a7_s.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2607/3758156499_d7026a8996_s.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2472/3758951460_c794c69bb7_s.jpgYo whats up everybody here are some pictures of my first refinishing project. It is a fish tank stand and I found it in my basement when we moved all the crap out the day before the moving truck came. It is about 5 years old it is made out of oak and pine and I am going to set up a fish tank in the exercise...
The finish was sprayed yesterday. It was a combination of a dye stain, wiping stain, and a protective coat. The dye stain was srayed on only. Since it was thinned with about 50 parts to one thinner, it dried in about 10 seconds. That gave me the very dark tone I was after. Some production lines use this process only for their color, but I feel it doesn’t give the piece enough depth. I still use a wiping stain, in this case Dark Walnut, to “pop” the grain. The finish...
As I said in an earlier post, this is uncharted territory. I’ve built a wall unit and I’ve built a canopy, but never combined them both. I wanted to design this canopy so that I didn’t have to rely on fasteners to keep things from falling. I wanted each board to rest on another. The sides of the canopy rest on the headboard and the post. The footboard rest on the post. Each of them have a ¾” offset on the inside for the mirror grid to rest on. The mirrors will also rest on that same ...
- – - – - – - – -Update:I just realized I never posted pictures of the finished door. After reading a few books on finishing, I decided to use Linseed Oil, Shellac, and Wax. I like the fact that these products are all very “natural” and have been used for centuries. And I am really please with the results. After one application of Linseed Oil (boiled) I mixed the shellac myself (there is a place here in San Francisco called Sinopia Pigments that sells...
I bought a package of four springs at Home Depot. You can put a spring at the back or at the front. I tried the different sizes in different places and picked the 4” one near the front. I put it on by gluing short pieces of dowels, one to the base and the other to the bottom arm, and slipping it on. The next thing to do is drill a hole in the end of the bottom arm. I failed to mention that the hole for the blade holder is 1” in from the front end of both arms. Also, I cut ab...
Some scroll work requires you to tilt the table. I accomplish this by allowing the table to pivot on the tower end and created a trundle on the opposite end. The thing to remember is the top of the table is 5” off the base. With the table width at 12” I created a curve so that the radius is 4 1/2” . The trundle is 2” wide 1/2” ply with a 3/4” slot in the middle. The slot can be smaller it just needs to be able to pass the lag bolt through it. The su...
The tower needs to be beefy. I had some 7/8 ASH laying around so I used it. Everything hinges on the tower so don’t be shy adding a few bolts. The lower part ( 2 1/2×15 1/2) is just bolted to the base with three lag bolts. I drilled the base so the bolt heads sat flush with the bottom. There are dados for the vertical pieces. I wanted to make sure I could minimize any movement and I think this works with the triangle supports. By the way the dimension of 13” on the to...
The wall is up! I have the piers, headboard, and light bar built and temporally set up in the shop. The headboard I spent a lot of time on. It has a cut out top that slops inward and a storage section in the lower section in the headboard (see pictures below). I’m going to do something really cool with that storage section so keep watching this blog. The light bar was straight forward, but I had to figure out how I wanted the canopy to attach later and where the mirrors would actua...
To make it so you can adjust the tension on the blade I took a 12” threaded screw and put it through oversize holes in the back end of the arms. I put a nut on the bottom and a adjustable knob on the top. The other end was a bit harder to figure out. I kept browsing over all of the fasteners at Home Depot, thinking there has to be a way to make a solid connection between the arms and the blades. Then it hit me and I think it is simple and strong. I took a threaded rod coup...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1406 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 173 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries