I’ve remodeled the entire house. Always a work in progress but mostly done. Ripped out walls, replaced paneling with sheetrock/paint, replaced carpets with hardwood floors, I made new kitchen cabinets, all moldings… etc. I’ve blogged most of it as I went along. The hole in the ground:We have a cellar that takes up about half the floor area of the house. The rest is a slab. It is a washroom, storage, houses the hot water tank, pump tank, etc. It’s finished off pretty...
My daughter Erin came out to the shop and scrolled me some Christmas ornaments for a charity event my Guild participates in each year.She is a natural-born artist, and I don’t have to tell you how much it means for her to come out there and join me in the shop every once in a while.Music playing, beautiful weather, & having great company in the shop equals a very nice morning.I am very blessed.
take this after planer & LN 4 1/2 cut on bandsaw so and so planer again, miter saw clear one thin side on each blank 1-st jig in this project cut, use 1-st 2-nd jig cut on bandsaw, use 2-nd clear after bandsaw, use 2-nd rounding handle 3-rd jig cut on 3-rd then light sanding & one coat with food safe mineral oil Thanks for looking!
Summers Woodworking Second Annual Bird House Contest. This is my humble entry. There are some very talented and creative folks entering this year! I had this hubcap that I purchased some time back for a few $ and this is what ended up happening. http://youtu.be/ELPT5kOQVvE Chris
This weekend was splendid! I finally was caught up enough to do some things around the house that I have been meaning to do for quite a while. My little 'all season tree' is now beautifully decorated in a cute, Halloween theme (you will have to come back tomorrow to see that – I have too many photos to show today!) and not only did I do some major cleaning, but I cooked a great Sunday dinner and I plowed through a fairly large pile of "UFO's" and got them all...
Since the ammonia fume diffused through the finishes so easily, I started to wonder how far it penetrated the wood. I had assumed the fume darkening would be a thing film, so I planed one of the edges to see how far it would go. I planed and planed, and found out that the fume had penetrated 1-2 mm through the face grain, and up to 10 mm on the end grain. You can see this in the planed edge shown above. The fumed finish on oak can easily stand up to extensive sanding. As always, please t...
After noticing that the inside of my box picked up some color right through the Danish oil finish, I decided to experiment. I finished an oak stick with one coat of polyurethane varnish (right) and Danish oil (left). I left the center unfinished. The oak darkened nicely beneath the finishes. The Danish oil appears a bit darker than the varnish, but the image exaggerates this somewhat. Nice to know that you can sand and put at least one coat of finish on before fuming. I’d test it ...
Well the other day I finally got some 3/16 hardboard and had the blue box rip it to the 24.25 inches to fit on the top. I put drops of glue in key spots to keep it from moving. I then installed a rip cutoff from my hand tool bench in slow progress, damn nails imbedded/hidden in some have me frustrated. Glued screwed and plugged this to the front edge of the top. I wiped on some Early American stain to pop the grain a bit more, it has lots of figure imho. Fast forward to today. I was up...
Two days after I took it out of the “gas chamber” the swelling due to moisture had gone down enough that I could remove the lid. I was a little surprised that the interior had darkened as much as the outside, but I guess I shouldn’t have been. The lid was certainly not airtight. What did surprise me was that I had put a coat of Danish oil on the inside prior to assembly, and the ammonia had darkened the wood right through this small amount of finish. It just shows ho...
This is the box after two more days exposure, for six days total. It isn’t much darker than it was after four days, so I’m going to call the experiment over. I’d like for it to be a bit darker, but at least I got the contrast I wanted with the basswood lid and pins. Even the basswood took on a bit warmer shade. This is why I put the lid in to fume with the sides. I thought that the pins might darken, and I wanted them to match the lid. Here is the box before fuming:One...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1560 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1585 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries