Time to cover my mistakes with corbels. I cut the tenons first. It is easier to hold onto a longer workpiece. Below I’ve laid out the desired curves. Here is how they are cut out on the band saw. Here is how the will be positioned. The pieces are too small to try to use a pattern and flush bit on the router table. So I use a drum sander kit on the drill press. This worked better and faster than I expected. Here is a quick look at how the upper corbels will be positioned....
Thanks to everyone for sticking with me to the end. In this video I cover all the little things that have to happen before I can finish, as well as the finishing process itself. The bench turned out better than expected and my customer was elated. As always, keep the conversation going below. Thanks for watching! View on YouTube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thomaslightleFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/redbarnwoodworking/Twitter: https://twitter.com/tnlightleWebsite: http://w...
I didn’t want straight rails. Here I’ve drawn an arch on the rails. I then cut the waste off on a band saw. I cut close but not up to the line. In the picture above are the rough cut rails. I have a pattern I used on an earlier project. I saved it and I’m glad I did because it’s perfect for this table. I made it from 1/4” masonite. Some people use double sided tape to hold the pattern to the piece. I used 3 small screws. Below I have a pattern or flush-...
With this being my first blog, I’ll start by saying that my name is Matthew Truax. I’m currently serving the Army, and I live in the Midwest. Of course, being in the Army and having a wood shop has proven to be difficult as I’m currently well over my household goods weight limit. I’m trying to mitigate that by getting rid of what I don’t need and building multi tool stations in the shop to alleviate space issues as well. My shop currently resides in a two car ...
I’m just getting this blog post started so it already set up, but in the next 6 months I should have everything up and running for me to build wooden boats for people. I’ll be starting out with some strip built kayaks and canoes most likely. In all actuality I have no idea what people are going to want. I plan on just getting the word out and let people come to me so we can sit down and draw up exactly what they want. After I’ve got a good thing going I will start cold moldi...
Fumed a small piece that I built to use for mounting an antique pencil sharpener to the wall in my study. The fuming with household ammonia in a plastic container for 2 days uniformly darkened the oak. Shown with a cut off of the original piece. Now what’s the best / easiest way to get the the reddish brown look of the other pieces in the room. Shown on a table that I’d like to look similar to. I’ve read BLO followed by amber shellac. Is this the correct path or ???...
No voiceover today. I needed just under 18” to make the top, so I opted to make the panel out of 3 – 6” wide boards. I chose 6” because that is pretty much the maximum capacity of my jointer. I got to use my biscuit joiner for the first time on this project. I got it for a steal on clearance last year and have been waiting to use it ever since. Once I got it dialed in, it was pretty easy to use. The joints lined up perfectly with the biscuits aiding in the alignm...
I decided it was time to build myself a real work bench. Initially I was just going to buy a pre-made table top and build a simple base. Then I decided i should have a pair of vises as well. And then I just sort of kept falling down the rabbit hole after that. The top is made from two beech table tops I bought from Ikea and laminated together (blasphemy I know.) The skirting is made from laminated pieces of oak which is drying as I type this. The skirting is 2×6 to make it extra...
I made this kitchen themed tablet holder will allow you to keep your electronics out of your food. It is the new version of a cookbook holder that used to be sold years ago. View on YouTube
A lot has to happen between cutting the joinery and gluing the panels. I had to fine tune many of the joints, repair some mistakes, and make some finishing cuts to the legs and arms of the bench. Once that was all done, I could glue up the panels. It is nerve-wracking because you only get one shot. Needless to say I did about 100 dry-fits just to be absolutely certain everything would go together properly. The glue-up went as planned without any hiccups. I had to sand most of the joints...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries