Just picked up 7,000 bf of kiln dry lumber. I am in fort myers florida if your looking for lumber please contact and I will try to help. Cherry, ambrosia maple, red and white oak and curly maple.
I milled the leg and spacers/support block out of the same chunk of oak. The screw and nut are the remnants of what I bought for my end vise. A cove cut on the table saw and an 3/8” round over gave me the basic profile. I smoothed it out of with a whatever rasp and file I had on hand. Then marked and mortised for the nut. I’ll probably put a dab of epoxy on final assembly of the nut to make sure to hold it captive. It’s damn good fit if I say so myself. ...
Working with reclaimed wood can be very rewarding once the final product comes together. Unless you are purchasing it from someone who has already pulled the nails and cleaned the surface be prepared to put some effort into preparing it for projects. Collecting and preparing the raw materials often requires a lot of hard work. Having worked with a lot of reclaimed wood over the past several years more and more projects are demanding it especially since completing a barn tear down over the pas...
I needed an end vise for ma bench. So I built one. White oak was the hardest wood I had on hand in a useable quantity. I’ll try to keep it short. Didn’t have a large enough piece for the chop(?) but I had 2 that I really liked. So I joined them with a sliding dovetail. Made with table saw, chisel and a home made router plane (the block of oak with the Allen wrench sticking out). I cut rabbets into the bottom guide rails simply because I bought a new to me plow plane. It ...
I left off with some cypress jointed and planed for the stretchers with a loose idea of what I wanted to do. I was originally hoping to do a “loopy” sort of deal (like the loopy infill), but I’d need to invest in a router guide bushing set and make or buy some templates and bits. In the end, I just did this Which translates to this. After milling the stretchers and the dados in the legs, I went ahead and glued the legs in first. Then the stretchers. Then a little purpleheart...
For a while, I had been working on saw horses with a melamine coated piece of MDF I picked up from the Ikea as-is section. After abusing that thing for 2 years, I figured it was time to embark on a build. My goal for the workbench was to make it as inexpensive as possible. I first thought of going the 2×12 douglas fir route, but opted to liquidate my stash of MDF. The MDF was laminated with Titebond and wood screws across 2 sessions. After finishing the lamination, I double sticke...
I recently uploaded a new video to my youtube channel, I will post the link up at the bottom. I have been wanting to post up more videos of project builds and some other shop related things so a while back i posted up one video of me carving a wood spirit using a Dremel tool, this was my first video. a few days ago i posted up my second video of simple wood cutouts. It was easy to shoot and a fast project and using very limited tools. I am hoping to shoot more videos as the time goes on but ...
I was in need of reorganizing my work space, so I started with finishing this fir bench that I had framed up a few years back to double it as a outfeed table. All the wood used was reclaimed, therefore at no cost. At this point I will move it to it’s new spot in my shop and match the table saw to the back left corner and line up for routing out Miter slide tracks in the top. The handles are made of Spalted Oak. You can see a video of the build here… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nppe9...
I just posted the next installment of my prairie sofa and love seat build on my blog. A LOT of pictures, discussion of design changes, and the fun of discovering the lumber you thought was awesome sometimes isn’t. http://dcwwoodworks.com/blog/2015/4/18/prairie-sofa-and-loveseat-part-2
A quickie post I didn’t mention making the red Oak pieces to latch behind the lower lip of the cabinet before. These are just big enough to fit below the lower shelf . The article in the magazine mentions making these the full length to subdue expansion, but I have breadboard ends for that. I measured and marked where the batten guides need to go, with a brain fart or two. You will probably notice a few holes in a picture or two where I mounted them where they didnt need to be. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1584 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1609 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries