And on the tool chest! Got up this morning, and got the lid out of the clamps. Had some clean up to do on it from squeeze outs. Couple of joints needed to be flatter. Marked out for some screw holes on the trim pieces, and checked the fit. Miter joints needed afine tuning. Screws were deep set. Might go back and add plugs…..someday. Both corners were looking good Just one side piece was a hair too long. Trimmed it to size. Glue and screws to fasten the trim i...
and panel raisin’ Got the Pine panel out of the clamps. Hand planed to as flat as I could get in. Time to raise a panel. Same way as the side panels. Mark out a “stop line” about 1” in from the edge. Take a #4 sized handplane, set it a bit deep. Go at a diagonal to the grain. Plane until you reach the stop line, check the remainder of the edge for straightness. As you get close to the finish line, back off the depth of cut. I do the end grain ...
Over on my blog, I’ve been catching up on some of the things I’ve been doing for the last several months. One is a set of wastepaper baskets, a few different designs, I made from cutoffs & scraps. I dip my toe into the “what to do with scraps” debate, and a few other things. Enjoy… http://dcwwoodworks.com/blog/2014/8/12/what-a-waste
Last summer my cousin gave me an old oar and asked if I could use it for one of my projects. It was about eight feet long. I new immediately that I could easily use the oar for one of my chair projects. It fits exactly with the type of chair I like to build – three legs with a tall slender back. Now there is some family history associated with this oar. My mother immigrated to Canada in 1949 with her parents, four sisters and brother. Her father’s brother, wife and seven...
My wife loves her wooden spoons, but after many years, they warp and crack and eventually fall apart. So I started wondering what the best material to make a wooden spoon out of might be. I bought 10 small samples of hardwoods and cut them all to roughly the size that could serve as the bowl of a wooden spoon. So I have 10 pieces of wood roughly 5” long, 2 1/2” wide and 7/16” thick. I started with those and put them into a large stock pot with 4 gallons of water a...
Ok, spent a bit of time getting the case put together. Things just seem to roost on my benchtop. Setting the panels upside down on an almost flat benchtop. Clamp an end panel to the front/back panel. The longer panels have a series of counter-bored screw holes, about seven per corner. Clamp a corner together, add a few screws, move the clamp a bit to uncover the one or two that are hiding under them. Work my way around, by adding the other end panel, rotate the three piece set aro...
Ok, frame is almost done Maybe some tweaking left. Needed to find out what size to finish cut the raised panel to. Around 11-1/4 by 13 or so. Got out the “Speed Square” and laid out a few lines. Running the circular saw a different direction this time, with most of the weight on the non waste side Set the saw to almost cut through the panel, and NOT the benchtop. Next, maybe make some beveled edges? A Millers Fall #14 Jack plane for the work. I marked out ab...
Getting maybe an hour or two a day on this chest. Baby steps? Got a second front/back panel out of the clamps. and standing on it’s own two little feet. and set the first one nearby Yep, gonna be a wee bit bigger than the first chest. Then some work got started on the ends I got the parts for the frame milled up/down. Needed to run a corded router to make the 3/8×3/8” grooves. Was getting close to done when the cutter snapped off. Hmm, only have one ...
Well, 14 months later, CC’s 8th grade graduation present is complete (She graduated last June, ugh). At work, I like to say that “Excuses + No Results = No Results”. So, I will spare you my excuses, as they are plentiful. But, I finally got her done. CC asked the case remain unfinished, as she plans to paint & decorate it herself. I figure I spent a total of about 30 man-hours and about $150 in materials on the project. My wife love’s this bookcase ...
Ok, had a bunch of parts milled down from an old Bed frame. Got some mortise work done To avoid mistakes, I try to keep each group of parts, like a complete side, in one spot. Helps when fitting things together later Because the grooves for the raised panels are off-set to the outside. I also cut down the grooves and then chop the mortises. I can then miter where two grooves meet, I hope I tend to cut tenons first. Then use the finish tenon to mark out a mortise to fit TH...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1385 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1408 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- stefang - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries