This is a cedar chest I made my daughter 12 years ago.
This week I had a piece of 5/4 white oak that I needed to take down to 7/8. I decided to do it by hand which was a first for me. I used my #5 crossgrain to take most of the material off and then a #8 with the grain to level it and finish it off. There were a few spots with tear out so I hit them with the #4 to fix them. All in all it was a lot of work but I learned a lot about my planes in the process. I recommed it for anyone and am anxious to learn more and imporve my work. Here’...
So, today I did my first woodworking in the shop since I cut my finger off. I installed the splitter on my table saw. It only took five minutes. As my fellow woodworkers know, it’s a huge pain. It’s in the way when you try to measure the width of every cut (so I’m resorting to using the tape on the saw), and it can only be used for cuts greater than 1-1/2” wide (otherwise the push stick won’t fit through. I’ve yet to see how it works with the dado blad...
Well the Roll Top Secretary Desk is now finished. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/36860 It’s been many months in the making. What’s really amazing is that I didn’t really have any “Oh No, what have I done!” moments with this project. Everything just went together well and did what it was supposed to do. I wish all my projects went like that. Some of the real turning points of the project were: I was buying the canvas for the tambour, wondering if...
Well, I was supposed to just replace the old vanity with some cabinets that they got from a friend, because the cabinets they got were in better condition than the ones currently in the house. Seemed pretty straight forward, nothing really difficult or interesting to see here, folks, so move along…..... Oh, wait, nothing fits right, go figure. Yes, their simple switch out turned to a bit more, but they are really enjoying it. I had to put together 3 cabinets, bring them out ...
I have always wanted to build a Gerstner style wooden tool box but the drawers were designed more for a machinist than woodworking. The project has stayed on the backburner for a long time. A few months ago i saw a picture and downloaded an article from FWW on the Essential Toolbox by Mike Pekovich. I had built a wall cabinet based on his design earlier and found that the design lent itself very well to personalizing it. The toolchest design seemed to be the same way. I really wanted a th...
Well, at least enough to put ONE frame together. Had the five parts for the one side laid out. “Plan” was to mill a few tenons, then chop a few mortises to match. Got a few tenons done, before the insurance guys showed up. Spent maybe an hour talking things over with them, and the landlord. Anyway, about them tenons.. Needed a few tools. laid out 1” wide tenons. Simple to do, as the blade on the square is 1” wide. Marked all the way around the ends....
I am keeping this entry brief as I am a bit limited on time. I have heard many critiques of the Shopsmith over the years. I have always found it to be an ingenious woodworking tool for someone with very limited space. The tablesaw has it’s issues, which have been talked about in a million forums, but I have a tablesaw that I am happy with, what I do not have nor have space for is power sanding, a bandsaw, a lathe and a drillpress. The primary strengths of a Shopsmith in my situation ...
Well, I bought all the wood for this project a couple weeks ago and I always have a hard time cutting large pieces straight because my table saw didn’t have a very long fence. I bought a large one about two years ago, was kind of intimidated to try putting it on, but I finally did. I had to put a new arbor on my table saw too, the pulley that holds the belt kept working it’s way off, so when I ordered that part, since I couldn’t use the saw, it was a good time to put the n...
I can’t believe how long it’s been since I last posted. I’ll ensure I contribute more often.Here are some pictures of the coring of a 20” half-log of red oak I was able to acquire. The end result was 5 rough-turned bowls that are now drying. The largest is 19 1/2” and the smallest is 7 1/2”. It took me one hour to rough-turn the outside of the blank and 1:45 to core the 5 bowls.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries