I have been spending my time in the shop to complete these nightstands instead of entering updates in my blog. Today I took the glued up drawer boxes and fitted them to their respective nightstand. I decided to cut dovetails for the sides where it fastens to the drawer front. I decided to go this way instead of cutting half-blind dovetails into the cherry drawer fronts. However, I made the cherry drawer fronts to match exactly the size of the poplar lumber I fitted with hand planes to t...
After an inventory of my hardwood and sheet goods, I determined I had enough lumber for two nightstands. This project is for my granddaughter Kayln. These nightstands will complement the eight drawer dresser I made her last year. I will also make her a mirror frame that she can hang over the dresser. I made a template for the legs. From there I made twelve legs in hopes of having eight good ones to use for these two nightstands. I also cut the maple plywood to their first dimensi...
So first come the fun part. Picking up the lumber at the local shop, and stapped it in as my co-pilot Next I rough marked all the lumber to try to minimize waste, and cut if all down to rough size. I took all those pieces straightened out the size and planed all the pieces to thickness. This was also the the reason I got a thickness planer, which I have to say, is an amazing addition to the shop. Now I’ve got nice little piles of squared of lumber.
What can I say? I am either a multi-tasker or I have ADD syndrome where I cannot concentrate on one thing. However, in my application development days I was able to work on things for hours and days on end. Why should I do that now? I am retired. As stated in a previous blog about my small workbench, I have plan for projects to start 2016. First, I am going to make a copy of Steve Latta’s Miniature Bench. Having that completed first should help me with the other project build...
Time to install the drawer pulls. My hardware requires two holes drilled 3” on center.-----I use this little jig to make sure all the holes are aligned correctly. It is a full-sized pattern, and works for the 6” and 8” drawers. I use Scott Collins “No Math” method to layout the pull location, which is discussed further in my dresser blog here… http://lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/34346-----I register the left edge of the drawer against the stop on ...
This is the project I am finishing up. The backsplash was nixed due to a Lumberjocks poll here…http://lumberjocks.com/topics/50516 The tribe has spoken. -----So it will actually look like this…-----When spraying shellac on the drawers, I masked the cedar drawer bottoms to maintain the nice aroma.-----Nightstand stained and lacquered. -----After the lacquer cures for at least 24 hours, I wax the cabinet with Howard’s walnut wax. -----I use a scrap of drawer front stock ...
This is the nightstand project…-----Panel glueup for the tops. I do my glueups in two stages. First I glue two pairs of boards together to make planks. Then I send them through the planer while they are still narrow enough to fit. Finally I glue these two planks together to make a panel. I describe flat panel construction in detail in my dresser blog… http://lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/33797-----A pair of rough glueups complete. -----I made a template for the corbels, w...
This is the project at hand…-----Empty carcase ready to accept web frames.-----Installing lower web frame with biscuits in front, and dado in the rear. -----Web frames are glued into the dados. -----Notched corners fit neatly around legs. -----Checking that web frames are all in the same plane. -----Through mortise and tenon.-----1/4” straight bit.-----With a straight bit chucked in router #1, I hog out most of the waste for the dovetails. This step is optional, but I fi...
Here is the design for the nightstand….-----I set about notching stock for the web frames. I use a dado blade, however a bandsaw would work too. -----The web frames are joined with biscuits, and checked with a straightedge. -----Web frames and more web frames…------One or two of the joints needed a few passes with a block plane. -----I glued the lower front rail in place, connecting the two side panels. It’s amazing how much strength a through M&T joint has. ------...
Here is a sketch of the nightstand I am working on. It features one 6” over two 8” drawers. -----Side panel components have been sanded, and the solid panels pre-stained. Now a final test fitting before gluing them up. The lumber is QSRO.-----A shallow groove in the legs will receive corbels. -----Side panels glued up. -----Front lower rails have been shaped at the router table, and finish sanded. Next up is the back panel and web frames.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries