This week’s Project is a horizontal Murphy Bed. The bed I built is a twin size bed using the Create-A-Bed Hardware kit from Rockler Woodworking and Supply. The finished look of the bed can be trimmed and finished to match your homes decor, really the limit on the final look is only limited by your imagination. These videos just tell you about the use of the hardware kit and the general construction of the project. I hope you enjoy it.
I posted a couple projects and wanted a place to compile both the building pictures. Both the desk and the Murphy bed were a project to the same customer. It was a challenging project because of its size. I finishing phase had to be done in two sets of two days. If not pieces would be everywhere. The bed had it’s own challenges. It was the first time to put a desk in a mission style. The customer did come up with a design that would work, but I needed to figure out all the...
Again I had different routes that I could have taken on the glue to use. I decided to go with regular yellow glue. It is more forgiving. If I would have laid the face down in one piece instead of an inlay, I may have used contact cement. Since the whales were fairly small I felt the yellow glue would work fine. I needed even and constent pressure on the entire piece. What I did was laid it down in this order. 2×4’s, substrate, glue, whale, wax paper, foam pad, plywood, 2...
I have the design, cut the veneer pieces and now it is time to put it on the face. I tossed around ideas on how I’d put it on the face. My first idea was to order a large sheet of maple veneer (background wood). Cut the whale into the it like I did the rest and then glue it all onto a substrate panel. What I ended up doing was using 3/4” maple plywood as the substrate and cut in the design. First I outlined the whale. I then went around the border with a chisel. This allo...
Okay, I got approval form the customer and time to get started on the project. To pattern it I enlisted the services from a local sign company. They printed it up with the colors separated life size (life size to the bed not life size in the wild). They made me some mask to use as the pattern. Here is also the wood I choose to use. They are Quarter Sawn Walnut (dark color) and Lacewood (reddish color): These were masks so I was able to stick them to the veneer pieces. I cut them out...
I’m starting a very exciting project. Anything new that I try is exciting for me. I love new things and new techniques. I build a lot of murphy beds, as you can see from my post, but when I got customer wanting to add a whale design to one, I was all in. I don’t consider myself an artist or my work art, so this would be my first attempt at something like that. I’ve heard and read a little on marquetry and decided this would be the direction I’d take the customer....
What’s happening in the shop for August 7, 2010 . Working on a couple queen Alpine “murphy bed”http://www.wwbeds.com/Murphy.htm. One of them will be completed the other will be a pre-cut. This is where I cut the parts, edge band them, dill the holes, and sand them up. The customer will do the actual building. I just give them a head start. For missed video and building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. Watch us live:
What’s happening in the shop for July 10, 2010 . Today I should spend most of the day in the back showroom doing the final assembly for Blake’s murphy bed, bookcase, and desk. I’ll also be taking pictures to write the assembly instructions for it all.For missed video and building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. Watch us live:
Daily Update for July 7, 2010. Staining on Blake’s murphy bed. I have most of the job ready but I’ll stain the desk and bookcase on a later date. too many parts to deal with at once. I am also waiting for some outsourced doors. Batman Bed is getting the graphics applied today. We finished it yesterday and should have it back by tomorrow. The last thing, I’ll be building is a Euro Murphy bed fit in a closet. This is for a local designer and I’ve had some proble...
What’s happening in the shop for June 1, 2010. Final Assembly on Morris’ Accent wall unit. Building a bookcase for Mathis. Starting on a murphy bed for Ferrell For missed video and building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. Watch us live:
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries