This journey started out with me asking a question about what I could do (woodworking related) with a blender motor I salvaged. See the forum topic here. Cranesgonewild (an LJ member) gave me a link to a project another LJ member had posted. Here is that project by Filinvested. The project is like a rock tumbler (for polishing rocks), but instead of rocks it takes cubes of wood and turns them into beads of wood. Pretty ingenious idea. So I decided to make one. My mother and stepmother ...
Hi Lumberjocks, I need some help diagnosing an issue I’m having with my dust collector. Recently my dust collector started tripping the circuit breaker and running with a lot of vibration. Initially I thought it was the impeller that was out of balance, but now I’ve at least narrowed it down to the motor (after wasting $80 on a new impeller). This first video shows the motor running completely assembled…and then the noises that follow as it shuts down… ......
Continuing to work up the saw I got the next big chunk of work done, the motor and the motor carriage. I followed pretty much the same process I used while doing the base. Like I said before, this saw is in great working shape and had been used daily by the gentleman that had it before. I both the motor bearings and track bearings had already been replaced. They were in good shape so all I needed to do was give them a thorough cleaning. I also hand painted the embossed DeWalt logo ‘k...
Well, today I did get to come home at lunch and dust out the motor, and let me tell you, it looked 40 years younger when I did. The windings were actually nice and shiny underneath the layers of old sawdust….. With that out of the way, I was able to move on. I pressed the new bearings onto the arbor using a deep socket and rubber mallet to tap them into place. With that out of the way I put things back together in the manner I dis-assembled them. Since, I didn’t make no...
You’re motoringWhat’s your price for flightIn finding mister rightYou’ll be alright tonight My choices were between a single speed, 1/3 HP, 1750 RPM motor or a three speed, 1/4 HP, 1050 RPM motor. Wow, 3 speeds! The 1/3 has a very short shaft meaning I could only fit one pulley meaning I would have to slide the motor to each lathe pulley (or I could have used a jackshaft but I was too stupid to know it). The 1/4 has a longer shaft to fit a step pulley and did I mentio...
Credit where it’s due, I basically copied this guy’s stand except I modified the top to work with my lathe. I had literally a wheelbarrow load of scrap fir 2×4’s from another project so I used as many as I could. (Note: never build anything from fir 2×4’s, the wood is soft and brittle, every little bump is a dent and pieces kept flaking off at the slightest provocation.) Sorry, I have no in-progress pics. Once I get started I don’t like to stop ...
I am a woodworker, an engineer, a maker, and a tinkerer. I built myself a workbench that height adjustable and completely solid that will last for generations. The full project description is here. But if your like me, you will find that a project, though completed, is never really done. I started this blog to document my starting point for any modifications and upgrades I do to the bench. See a video of the project by clicking here if you don't have flash or watch below:
First time posting a project. I’m still a novice and was in way over my head, but after a long time, here’s my router table. The lift is motorized using a PLC controller and a 12VDC motor normally used for automatic car seats in Honda automobiles. The 120VAC to 12VDC conversion was accomplished using a computer power supply. Most of the wood I used was cheap wood from the big box stores or ugly scraps I had on-hand, so I painted it red, white, and blue and put clear coats over it....
[UPDATE: Scrap this idea, it doesn’t work. When I first tested the vibration was minimal but now it’s setting off an oscillation that makes it unworkable. Guess I will go back to over-complicating.] The motor mount I built was too low and allowed the pulley belt to rub the lathe frame. In the last entry I mentioned there were two solutions to the problem: 1: Create a raised platform for the motor that will bring it to the height of the lathe pulleys.2: Build a jackshaft that...
I just picked up a 1 1/2 hp 1740 rpm motor from a friend today for $30. It’s a VERY clean old Doerr brand motor made in Cedarburg, Wisconsin. After rewiring it to run in reverse, I installed it into my rigid 14” bandsaw that has a 6” riserblock, and many carter upgrades. Let me say that the saw is a totally different beast now! With the underpowered stock 3/4 HP motor, a very slow feed rate was needed to resaw tall stock. Now it breezes through 10” rock maple withou...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries