This journey started out with me asking a question about what I could do (woodworking related) with a blender motor I salvaged. See the forum topic here. Cranesgonewild (an LJ member) gave me a link to a project another LJ member had posted. Here is that project by Filinvested. The project is like a rock tumbler (for polishing rocks), but instead of rocks it takes cubes of wood and turns them into beads of wood. Pretty ingenious idea. So I decided to make one. My mother and stepmother ...
First time posting a project. I’m still a novice and was in way over my head, but after a long time, here’s my router table. The lift is motorized using a PLC controller and a 12VDC motor normally used for automatic car seats in Honda automobiles. The 120VAC to 12VDC conversion was accomplished using a computer power supply. Most of the wood I used was cheap wood from the big box stores or ugly scraps I had on-hand, so I painted it red, white, and blue and put clear coats over it....
Well, today I did get to come home at lunch and dust out the motor, and let me tell you, it looked 40 years younger when I did. The windings were actually nice and shiny underneath the layers of old sawdust….. With that out of the way, I was able to move on. I pressed the new bearings onto the arbor using a deep socket and rubber mallet to tap them into place. With that out of the way I put things back together in the manner I dis-assembled them. Since, I didn’t make no...
Wow, what an afternoon yesterday. I’m finally getting to see things shape up when I was removing the masking tape. Then I get to the tape that was covering the PATENT sticker that I couldn’t remove… I’d had the masking tape on too long and when I was removing the tape, along came the sticker… So naturally I was upset…very upset. It’s not like this little sticker would at all affect how my machine works but.. My Grandpa has two main hobbies, woo...
Continuing to work up the saw I got the next big chunk of work done, the motor and the motor carriage. I followed pretty much the same process I used while doing the base. Like I said before, this saw is in great working shape and had been used daily by the gentleman that had it before. I both the motor bearings and track bearings had already been replaced. They were in good shape so all I needed to do was give them a thorough cleaning. I also hand painted the embossed DeWalt logo ‘k...
[UPDATE: Scrap this idea, it doesn’t work. When I first tested the vibration was minimal but now it’s setting off an oscillation that makes it unworkable. Guess I will go back to over-complicating.] The motor mount I built was too low and allowed the pulley belt to rub the lathe frame. In the last entry I mentioned there were two solutions to the problem: 1: Create a raised platform for the motor that will bring it to the height of the lathe pulleys.2: Build a jackshaft that...
Hi Lumberjocks, I need some help diagnosing an issue I’m having with my dust collector. Recently my dust collector started tripping the circuit breaker and running with a lot of vibration. Initially I thought it was the impeller that was out of balance, but now I’ve at least narrowed it down to the motor (after wasting $80 on a new impeller). This first video shows the motor running completely assembled…and then the noises that follow as it shuts down… ......
I had the opportunity to get a 24” bandsaw that supposedly works for $100. It appears to be 30 years old and in good physical shape. My stepgrandfather, Ernie knows a guy that knows a guy, etc. Anyways he said something to me at Thanksgiving and he told me he would have bought it but he couldn’t use it in his garage. I asked him why, is it 220? He said it was 3 phase. I replied that we have 3 phase at school and want a large bandsaw. So he called the guy back and said I woul...
Well, I received this table saw for FREE several years ago, when a friend backed into it in the garage…. the table is solid cast Iron with Webbed wings, so that was undamaged, but the motor mount was trashed. It was her grandfathers saw, and she just couldn’t throw it away. She let me have it, since I promised to get it working again and to use it. I got a BEEFY motor from the Ex’s uncle who’s an HVAC installer… Cost… a case of beer. God bless BEER! M...
I purchase a used old shopsmith and a few tools about 3mo ago for a couple hundred bucks. Last night while turning a pen the motor started to loose power and eventually stopped. I turned off the switch and let it set a few miniutes and tried to power it up again but no luck. This morning I turned it on and it turned about 10sec. and stopped. Any hope or is the motor shot?
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1403 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1427 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 172 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries