This journey started out with me asking a question about what I could do (woodworking related) with a blender motor I salvaged. See the forum topic here. Cranesgonewild (an LJ member) gave me a link to a project another LJ member had posted. Here is that project by Filinvested. The project is like a rock tumbler (for polishing rocks), but instead of rocks it takes cubes of wood and turns them into beads of wood. Pretty ingenious idea. So I decided to make one. My mother and stepmother ...
I am a woodworker, an engineer, a maker, and a tinkerer. I built myself a workbench that height adjustable and completely solid that will last for generations. The full project description is here. But if your like me, you will find that a project, though completed, is never really done. I started this blog to document my starting point for any modifications and upgrades I do to the bench. See a video of the project by clicking here if you don't have flash or watch below:
3HP Motor Tear-Down Clean-up and Bearing Replacement #1: 3HP Motor Tear-Down, Clean-up and Bearing-Replacement
Well I decided it was the day to get after the motor of my recently purchased “barn-find” Powermatic 66. I ordered new bearings for the motor from Accurate Bearing and they came within a few days of placing the order by email using one of the PDF Order Blanks I found on OWWM. My 3HP motor is a MARATHON Electric, it is 230v Single Phase. The Bearings for the motor were listed on the motor tag (White Sticker on the motor housing). Having the bearing information before hand sav...
Hi Lumberjocks, I need some help diagnosing an issue I’m having with my dust collector. Recently my dust collector started tripping the circuit breaker and running with a lot of vibration. Initially I thought it was the impeller that was out of balance, but now I’ve at least narrowed it down to the motor (after wasting $80 on a new impeller). This first video shows the motor running completely assembled…and then the noises that follow as it shuts down… ......
I had the opportunity to get a 24” bandsaw that supposedly works for $100. It appears to be 30 years old and in good physical shape. My stepgrandfather, Ernie knows a guy that knows a guy, etc. Anyways he said something to me at Thanksgiving and he told me he would have bought it but he couldn’t use it in his garage. I asked him why, is it 220? He said it was 3 phase. I replied that we have 3 phase at school and want a large bandsaw. So he called the guy back and said I woul...
I purchase a used old shopsmith and a few tools about 3mo ago for a couple hundred bucks. Last night while turning a pen the motor started to loose power and eventually stopped. I turned off the switch and let it set a few miniutes and tried to power it up again but no luck. This morning I turned it on and it turned about 10sec. and stopped. Any hope or is the motor shot?
I bought a Powermatic 66 at an online auction web site. I paid $350 plus $135 processing. After rental of a truck I drove 158 miles to York PA to pick up the saw. Upon my arrival back, I set up the mobile base, slid the saw onto the lift and moved it into the shop. We pulled the motor, pulled the worm gears, blade, wheels and everything else. I sanded away all the old paint, and repainted it with the closest color I could find. It had a hammered look when dry. The magnetic switch was mounted ...
Wow, what an afternoon yesterday. I’m finally getting to see things shape up when I was removing the masking tape. Then I get to the tape that was covering the PATENT sticker that I couldn’t remove… I’d had the masking tape on too long and when I was removing the tape, along came the sticker… So naturally I was upset…very upset. It’s not like this little sticker would at all affect how my machine works but.. My Grandpa has two main hobbies, woo...
First time posting a project. I’m still a novice and was in way over my head, but after a long time, here’s my router table. The lift is motorized using a PLC controller and a 12VDC motor normally used for automatic car seats in Honda automobiles. The 120VAC to 12VDC conversion was accomplished using a computer power supply. Most of the wood I used was cheap wood from the big box stores or ugly scraps I had on-hand, so I painted it red, white, and blue and put clear coats over it....
Haven’t done a whole lot lately, finished all the wire brushing and removing of the old pant and rust. I had to stop using the wire wheel when there was more wires flying off then paint. I got my use out of the $3 wire wheel. There’s still some paint in those hard to reach places but It’s better than it was. Now I’m going to give everything a good wiping with some mineral spirits and tape off what’s necessary and go to town with the spray cans. I took some pictur...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries