Picked up this guy at the local recycling center for $10. Motor is a little slow to start (capacitor?) and if any pressure is applied to the pulley with my hand it stalls. I have (2) 113 craftsman tablesaw motors, 1hp and 1.5 hp that I can put on it but would rather try to repair the existing motor…price willing. It doesn’t have a fence but I’m thinking of building a small sled for it. The tilt and height cranks are very smooth and I’m sure after a good cleaning and a ...
I am a woodworker, an engineer, a maker, and a tinkerer. I built myself a workbench that height adjustable and completely solid that will last for generations. The full project description is here. But if your like me, you will find that a project, though completed, is never really done. I started this blog to document my starting point for any modifications and upgrades I do to the bench. See a video of the project by clicking here if you don't have flash or watch below:
First time posting a project. I’m still a novice and was in way over my head, but after a long time, here’s my router table. The lift is motorized using a PLC controller and a 12VDC motor normally used for automatic car seats in Honda automobiles. The 120VAC to 12VDC conversion was accomplished using a computer power supply. Most of the wood I used was cheap wood from the big box stores or ugly scraps I had on-hand, so I painted it red, white, and blue and put clear coats over it....
Sorry for not posting sooner, but the project was completed back in February and life got busy… Suffice to say, I haven’t had much time for testing the air cleaner’s capabilities, but I did check out the airflow and the speeds are right where they need to be. I hope that this proves to be a useful tool for keeping the air clean when I mill wood. Here are some pics showing some of the components of the system. The first pic is of a simple pan box that will have a 10R...
I’ve always known that I really should be blogging about my woodworking life, but sometimes the thought of starting yet another project (demanding a lot of my time) in the face of so many other things that have immediate priority, has seemed foolish. Indeed, at this very moment I could choose from a list of 20-30 different things that I could work on that would be a smart use of my time. From finishing my home addition (painting, flooring, tile, trim, cabinets etc) to over-due cu...
[UPDATE: Scrap this idea, it doesn’t work. When I first tested the vibration was minimal but now it’s setting off an oscillation that makes it unworkable. Guess I will go back to over-complicating.] The motor mount I built was too low and allowed the pulley belt to rub the lathe frame. In the last entry I mentioned there were two solutions to the problem: 1: Create a raised platform for the motor that will bring it to the height of the lathe pulleys.2: Build a jackshaft that...
Credit where it’s due, I basically copied this guy’s stand except I modified the top to work with my lathe. I had literally a wheelbarrow load of scrap fir 2×4’s from another project so I used as many as I could. (Note: never build anything from fir 2×4’s, the wood is soft and brittle, every little bump is a dent and pieces kept flaking off at the slightest provocation.) Sorry, I have no in-progress pics. Once I get started I don’t like to stop ...
You’re motoringWhat’s your price for flightIn finding mister rightYou’ll be alright tonight My choices were between a single speed, 1/3 HP, 1750 RPM motor or a three speed, 1/4 HP, 1050 RPM motor. Wow, 3 speeds! The 1/3 has a very short shaft meaning I could only fit one pulley meaning I would have to slide the motor to each lathe pulley (or I could have used a jackshaft but I was too stupid to know it). The 1/4 has a longer shaft to fit a step pulley and did I mentio...
Hi Lumberjocks, I need some help diagnosing an issue I’m having with my dust collector. Recently my dust collector started tripping the circuit breaker and running with a lot of vibration. Initially I thought it was the impeller that was out of balance, but now I’ve at least narrowed it down to the motor (after wasting $80 on a new impeller). This first video shows the motor running completely assembled…and then the noises that follow as it shuts down… ......
Wow, what an afternoon yesterday. I’m finally getting to see things shape up when I was removing the masking tape. Then I get to the tape that was covering the PATENT sticker that I couldn’t remove… I’d had the masking tape on too long and when I was removing the tape, along came the sticker… So naturally I was upset…very upset. It’s not like this little sticker would at all affect how my machine works but.. My Grandpa has two main hobbies, woo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1524 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1549 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries