I felt like it was time to actually build something for this project. I started with a component which I felt was relatively inconsequential. As woodworkers, we should strive to put due care and skill into every component of a build I know, but it can be prudent to try out new techniques and methods on a component which, when talking in practical terms, just isn’t as important as the rest. In this case, that component is the small rail on the toddler bed circled in the diagram below. ...
With rough milling out of the way, I began work on the project with the big beefy leg posts. The main leg blanks measure 3”x4”, so I will need to laminate two boards together to achieve this. All of the lumber I bought was flat sawn, however, with the boards shown below, if I rip them in half, I should get two more-or-less rift sawn pieces (which I hear are more stable and lend themselves well to legs). I figured the best way to laminate the boards would be to have their en...
Yesterday and today were big days. Our shop welder made some steel plates and tapped & died some holes to receive the 1/2” all thread. I mortised out an area for them to go on the bottom of the top main runner. Then I glued the main runners together and let them cook over night. Today I put everything together and test fit the cannon in the carriage. Fit like a glove! I did have to notch out the elevation plate so it would sit lower. I also cut down the elevation wedge to make the c...
After getting the headboard finished, I started on the side rails. I’d been thinking throughout the process about a way to get the mortises for the hardware into the end of the side rails, and I hadn’t come up with anything. I was trying to avoid routing sideways, which seemed absurdly dangerous, difficult, and generally a Bad Idea with my heavy router. If I had one of those lighter compact plunge routers I might have considered it, but my Ridgid router weighs a heck of a lot and ...
Here’s what I decided to make, more or less. I drew up some plans. I followed them pretty closely, but did change a few thicknesses of some of the stretchers. I red-lined them and will save them fro later. Plan of the chair back.Plan of the chair seat/legs, from the top.I glued up some blanks for the chair seats. Some people don’t like the “mismatch” of hickory, but I absolutely love it. The more contrast, the better, I think.I cut out two templates (the second o...
So being that this is my first entry into the realm of real furniture making I wanted to make sure I was diligent in my design step. As such I did the whole design in SketchUp first. - I will be making this with a combination of cherry and maple. Maple is just for the side of the drawers to add a little contrast.- The frame is assembled with mortise and tenon joints and the top is going to be laminated with a few pieces. The little panels are going to be solid cherry, even though looking b...
After the mortise video, I had a few questions about how to create the tenon. Here is my version.
Easy made side table for a porch or just to sit next to some chairs. Next is the mortises and finishing.
Here are the legs. They are cut to length. Originally I was going to make them 1.5” square. But I’ve decided to make them 1.5” x 2.0”. I’ll be cutting a taper on the lower 5” but that comes later. I’ve laid out the mortises. I was going to make a 1/4” by 2” tenon so I marked up the mortises for that. Then I started thinking, (always a dangerous thing), a 1/4” mortise will be difficult to cut and clean out. So I changed to a 3/8...
Hello all (echo,o,o,o) several hundred “reads”, no comments, so either you’re all riveted to your seats awaiting the next installment, or that’s several hundred open page, scroll down a bit, go read something more interesting. Not wanting to leave this half way through I shall proceed with the upper aron frames and front rail joinery. The apron panels were to be framed with pieces of leopardwood. Here you can see the top pieces which are grooved to fit onto a rabbe...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1808 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 114 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1833 entries
- dbhost - 441 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 321 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries