22 Feb. 2015 Well, the weather changed here. Went from a high of 70 to 81 this past week. I almost broke out in a sweat…..The desert flowers are just opening. The shop cats are very interested in the few little lizards sunning by the shop door. So enough on the weather. This past week seemed like forever. I decided to do some more inlays on the chairs. We went to the gem and mineral show. My first time after 40 years. It was interesting to say the least. I also did the ...
14 Feb 2015 Much further along the project of no return.Sanding and some oiling with gluing up the base unit and arms. Seems it was a bit anti-climatic when making the arms. Now, that’s OK with me. Even though they do look a little frankenstein like it was a good recovery and taught me some new skills and ideas! I did use some black dyed epoxy to fill in some small gaps but does look good. After sanding and some oiling I’ve assembled the first baseframe. I’m quit...
4 Feb 2015 Thanks to comments and such I finally decided on my approach for making the chair arms. I’d originally had planned on the Stickley method of laminate and cut so as to keep the arm looking bent. Well seems I hit a wall here as my band saw is not up to the job and I was certainly handsaw impaired to make such a cut.I’d floated the idea of a cut and spline method and got some great feedback, thank lcwood. I plan on cutting the board for the arm twice. First an a...
23 Jan 2015 Update from somewhere up the dark river of no return. Spent some time repairing the dewalt and porter cable sanders (new pads,dust bags and switches). Work like new now. No more flying discs about the shop, this only enticed the shop cat into fits of apoplexy.Finished the fit for the corbels. Angled the back corbels to the slope of the leg top. Gee, it actually works. Rounded over the pieces for first chair and sanded them to 220. The mesquite and cherry really shine...
13 Jan 2015 Past few days I’ve completed the leg blanks. Prepared the upper and lower side rails with stub tenons. Using a taper jig cut the top rails to match the desired angle. Cut and sized the front and back rails along with the seat support cleats. Once done with these I carefully marked each leg with the mortise positions making sure of their relative locations. Two lefts don’t make a right. Mortising was a long grueling smoking endeavor. At first I’...
Old pine should burn and gray at the close of day;Measure, measure, and check for square. Though wise woodworkers at their end know dark walnut stain is fair,Because their sanders had left no pigtails theyDo not go gentle into that good chair. Good woodworkers, the last coat by, cry ‘Varathane’Their dilute poly might protect this day,Measure, measure, and check for square. Wild woodworkers who cut and saw while half aware,And learn, too late, to measure once is to pray,Do...
I had read many times before about the three pillars of a craft: Design, Construction, and Finishing. Let me tell me you, after this experience, I truly realize now and appreciate the amount of effort and knowledge and true craftsmanship that goes into finishing. I posted on multiple forums, read many an article, and watched a veritable slew of finishing videos. Videos about outdoor finishing, videos about varnish finishes, articles about the pros and cons of diluting your polurethane. ...
Staining the seat. As mentioned, I’m using a dark walnut gel stain. This is what it looks like before wiping it off.I actually really like the way this looks. If for some reason the finish turns out horribly, at least I know I can resort to a paint to get it to look like this. ....annnndd this is what it looks like after wiping it off. Once gain, I’m satisfied but by no means ecstatic. I opted not to use wood conditioner since it is a gel stain and gel stain sh...
Based on discussion with some of the woodworkers on /r/woodworking, I opted to forego the pre-stain conditioner. I went again and stained the entire back rest with the dark walnut gel stain. Doesn’t look like Dark Walnut on most of the pieces though, eh? This is because, as I mentioned before, all the wood was second-hard from a friend of a friend’s bookshelf. I’m not sure if he had stained it previously or it was just the natural aging of the wood, but the color of ...
Since this was my first foray into a proper finish ( the most I’ve done before is a spray lacquer finish ), I decided to make a test board. I put a bunch of test dowel plugs into it and broke it out into a bunch of different sections. I used Varathane Dark Walnut Gel Stain and Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner. Top row is 80 grit, middle row is 150 grit, bottom row is 220 grit. Left to right columns are 2 minute rest time, 4 minute rest time, 6 minute rest time, 8 minute rest tim...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries