So in the spirit of getting everyone in the shop and cutting up some wood I decided to post up a measured drawing of a 3/4” wooden rabbet plane in the 18th century style. It is all wood with the exception of the blade which is easily gotten from Lie-Nielsen here. It features a conical escapement and some simple embellishments that a hand plane, chisel, and #7 sweep gouge can handle. The plans are basic with a few things that can be easily changed if you like. Such as the bed angle...
Sometimes you will be faced with the challenge of fitting assembly to another (a molding to a carcase for instance). In cases like this it is best to use one piece to fit the other; the fancy term for this behavior being “verify in field”. In the perfect world both your molding and your carcase would be square and you could easily do this with a knife. But you will often have little gaps from being out square. These gaps make it difficult to use a layout knife with any accuracy...
While in the process of building a Bourdonnais French style bookcase I needed to make some crown molding for the top. I wasn’t about to go out and spend money on some pre-made crown molding. That would be the easy way out. I have a boat load of antique molding planes in my shop, so I decided to put one of those bad boys to use. The first step in make making crown molding is to get the stock prepared. I ripped a couple of pieces of straight grained poplar 5/8″ x 2″ x 6′ long. It’...
TV Stand #8: Raised Panel Doors, Soss Invisible Hinges, Table Top Edge, Getting Ready for the Finish
Yes it’s been over a month since I’ve posted an update but I’m still working on my TV stand. Raised Panel Doors Since my last blog, I finished the raised panel portion of my doors. This is the first time I’m doing a raised panel and I was having a problem getting the panel flush with the frame. To correct this problem I disassembled the panel router bit and raised the back cutter. Now I would be able to remove more of the back. Now the panel fit exactl...
Bottom MoldingI cut a long piece of the African mahogany 3” wide. I original use ¾” but didn’t like the way it looked so I planed it down to 5/8”. I ran it through my router table using a Freud Roman Ogee router bit # 38362. I first cut the front piece. I used the same angles that I used on the main case. After cutting the side angles, the pieces didn’t fit based on the angles I cut them. When I glued the sides of the main case together the angles came out different from wha...
I have finally finished cutting the frame profiles. I decided to make a bunch of small frames, rather than just one. I really like framing, but boy am I dreading the mitering and glue up! But before getting into the mitering (next blog entry), I wanted to show off some of the profiles. The first two pictures are of the frame I took from the plans on the American Woodworker website. I really enjoyed doing that one. I already tried once on a cove frame I cut, a...
Grandma's Picture Frame #3: Zero Clearance Take 2: Using a Molding Head on the Table Saw, Safety and Other Thoughts
In the last blog entry, the table saw molding cutter fiasco was discussed. After some feedback, and encouragement, and trust that the mishap was partly due to a knot in the wood (WHO PUT THAT THERE!), I went back and reworked the Insert. This time I made it slower, neater, and let the cutter itself remove the kerf by very, VERY slowly raising it while the fence held it down. If you do this, please use a cutter that has both outside edges; otherwise, you may not have created a universal slot f...
My mother suggested that I make a picture frame for my grandmother’s 100th birthday. The party is in march, and the four of us (Stephanie, Beatrice, Elijah, and I) will be flying to New York. I looked online for table saw frames because I do not have much skil with or many bits for a router, and no router table. What I found was: http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/12/04/tablesaw-picture-frame.aspx This is a lovely and classic frame. The wood is beaut...
Well, I got to spend a couple more hours on the shoe rack, but that is all the time allotted to me. It is gone and I can’t do any more work on it. My friend was in closet cleaning mode again and she needed it now :) Ok, so I was not able to paint it, I am hoping she will get around to it at a later date. So I will just give you the highlights of what I was able to do. Last update I gave, the carcass looked like this… Today, i was able to finish cutting the cove moldin...
Got a lot done yesterday. All parts cut, banded, edges cleaned up and panels processed. I have all but trim building completed on the beds and haven’t started on the bookcases yet. I plan on getting this completely finished today. Luckly I don’t have to stain and apply a finish. It is shipping unfinished. Here is the raw videos:Spriggs cut ripSpriggs BandingSpriggs re-cutCutting light holesVerticalsSpriggs HeaderSpriggs CrownSpriggs CenterSpriggs Face Building Pictures ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries