I was flipping through a catalog the other day and happened upon a spline cutting sled that this company was selling. I really liked the design of it, so I went on their website and learned all about it, watched videos etc. The only problem was, I didn’t want to pay the (what I thought was) high price for something that I could probably make myself…not to mention I’m broke, and cheap, and have enough scrap materiel’s lying around that I can make it almost for free. I...
When working on my various woodworking projects I found times that I had to glue odd joints and really didn’t have the clamps I needed. The solution to the problem was the development of a clamping block that simplified clamping these uncommon joints. The Universal Clamping Block tool will let you clamp the usual miters and and frames but will also facilitate the clamping of a great variety of other joints that occur in woodworking projects that present special clamping problems. ...
[I posted this as a comment here.] A beautiful joint with no end-grain showing and really simple – right? NO! Well the first part is right – they are attractive, but making a good miter joint is not as easy as it looks. And they get more difficult than just matching two 45 degree cuts together – there’s the compound miter joint that introduces another angel, or the mitered dovetail joint, and many other variations – all difficult to make. I can always make a three-sided picture frame...
OK when we last spoke, it was decided that the urn would have Maple sides, and Walnut top, bottom and miter splines… So I printed out a cut list and got to work. I cut all the pieces of maple slightly over sized so I could sneak up on the miters and get them perfect. Then I planed and rough sized the walnut for the tops and bottoms. The maple pieces were cut from a board I had planed down to 9/16 some time ago and the pieces were slightly cupped…not good for tight miters. I dec...
The box so far:- I’ve dimensioned the lumber and cut the miters- I cut the lid and bottom panels to size, cut rabbets into the lid, and glued suede cloth to the inside of the bottom panel and veneered a piece of white oak to the outside of the bottom panel- I inlaid the bog oak square and cut the oval for the red jasper cab- I glued up the box That takes us to this… You can see some of the nail and worm holes in the sides and lid; I could have left that out of the design, bu...
I have finally finished cutting the frame profiles. I decided to make a bunch of small frames, rather than just one. I really like framing, but boy am I dreading the mitering and glue up! But before getting into the mitering (next blog entry), I wanted to show off some of the profiles. The first two pictures are of the frame I took from the plans on the American Woodworker website. I really enjoyed doing that one. I already tried once on a cove frame I cut, a...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries