I was flipping through a catalog the other day and happened upon a spline cutting sled that this company was selling. I really liked the design of it, so I went on their website and learned all about it, watched videos etc. The only problem was, I didn’t want to pay the (what I thought was) high price for something that I could probably make myself…not to mention I’m broke, and cheap, and have enough scrap materiel’s lying around that I can make it almost for free. I...
When working on my various woodworking projects I found times that I had to glue odd joints and really didn’t have the clamps I needed. The solution to the problem was the development of a clamping block that simplified clamping these uncommon joints. The Universal Clamping Block tool will let you clamp the usual miters and and frames but will also facilitate the clamping of a great variety of other joints that occur in woodworking projects that present special clamping problems. ...
OK when we last spoke, it was decided that the urn would have Maple sides, and Walnut top, bottom and miter splines… So I printed out a cut list and got to work. I cut all the pieces of maple slightly over sized so I could sneak up on the miters and get them perfect. Then I planed and rough sized the walnut for the tops and bottoms. The maple pieces were cut from a board I had planed down to 9/16 some time ago and the pieces were slightly cupped…not good for tight miters. I dec...
[I posted this as a comment here.] A beautiful joint with no end-grain showing and really simple – right? NO! Well the first part is right – they are attractive, but making a good miter joint is not as easy as it looks. And they get more difficult than just matching two 45 degree cuts together – there’s the compound miter joint that introduces another angel, or the mitered dovetail joint, and many other variations – all difficult to make. I can always make a three-sided picture frame...
I have finally finished cutting the frame profiles. I decided to make a bunch of small frames, rather than just one. I really like framing, but boy am I dreading the mitering and glue up! But before getting into the mitering (next blog entry), I wanted to show off some of the profiles. The first two pictures are of the frame I took from the plans on the American Woodworker website. I really enjoyed doing that one. I already tried once on a cove frame I cut, a...
The box so far:- I’ve dimensioned the lumber and cut the miters- I cut the lid and bottom panels to size, cut rabbets into the lid, and glued suede cloth to the inside of the bottom panel and veneered a piece of white oak to the outside of the bottom panel- I inlaid the bog oak square and cut the oval for the red jasper cab- I glued up the box That takes us to this… You can see some of the nail and worm holes in the sides and lid; I could have left that out of the design, bu...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 267 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries