Well, last seen, that Island Project needed a door installed. Boss brought home a pair of oversized hinges of brass plated slendour. Then we went back out and found a magnetic catch to hold the thing closed. First off, the installed door.. Plywood had bowed a bit, in the wrong directions. Block plane to shave a few spots. Tried the catch at the top near the knob….didn’t catch. Ok, we’ll try at the bottom. Got the magnet part on. and the plate on…..F sty...
After a long morning drinking my coffee and thinking about alternatives to keep working, I drove to the lumber yard and got a piece of baltic birch to make the flattening sled out of. When I came back I took my bent saw blade out and put a crescent wrench on the bent tooth. I moved it about three times and I think it may be useable. I soaked it in simple green to get the pitch off and I’ll try it tomorrow. I’m expecting that it’ll be a little rough but that’s ok. IR...
So, my task today was to cut up a piece of maple I bought the other day to make the gap stop and get it glued up in the clamps and then go over to family for Easter dinner. I set up the band saw and set about resawing the board into two halves. It went fine for the first 3/4 of the board then it was binding the blade and was not tracking straight, and not wanting to cut. I made a couple of adjustments, everything else looked fine in the setup. It just wouldn’t cut and was binding hor...
Wow! It has been a very busy couple of weeks. Last year I purchased the 2hp Harborfreight dust collector. I knew I was not going to use it in it’s stock configuration, I knew I wanted to set it up like Jay Bates did. So when I first got the DC I crammed it in a spot out of the way, to the right of the DC was the chimney, to the left was a bunch of Junk. I moved it to the NW corner of the basement. The blower is mounted on top of the factory ring and is exsausted to t...
Hello all,Just added a new video to my YouTube channel. In this two part video series we build a Mid Century Modern Hall Table with Hairpin Legs. The build is coming along great. Take some time and check it out. when you check out the video don’t forget to subscribe to my channel. Here is a link to my channel & video. Thanks in advance for your support. Here is a link to my channel & video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLScGspjapE
Had a surprise today, more funds available in the budget than I thought so I went to the lumber yard and got the wood that I needed. Got it all milled up and the front rail is now in the clamps. Due to my clamp shortage, I’ll have to glue up the last leg after I get home from work tomorrow night. But that’s good because it’ll set me up perfect for next weekend’s activities. I picked up a 2 – 5/8” forstner bit for the plastic bearing ring, a 4” fors...
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #3: Leg stretchers, assembly bolts and bottom shelf.
This part was very straight forward, The stretchers were assembled from 3 strips of 3/4” BB glued together with Biscuits to help keep everything aligned. The center strip is 1/2” longer to make a tendon. Next I made a router template to make the mortises in the legs. At that point it was just a matter of laying them out and cutting them. While I had the legs out I needed to make clearance slots for the 2 dog holes on each side of the left side leg. ...
Well, the tops have taken longer than I anticipated. But it has turned out nice. The original Short Block V8 designed with a Torsten box top but I wanted a solid top. After lots of consideration I decided that I wanted the top to be Baltic Birch laminated on edge for the top. This would be consistent with the leg construction and would make for a very solid top. However this presented an issue as Baltic Birch is not cheap (best price here in Oregon, USA is $55.00 for a 5×5’ sheet...
For this Art Nouveau coffee table base system I’m using African Mahogany Hardwoods. A lot of planning went into figuring out the joinery. Half of the wood will be grinded away to get the large curves and shapes to blend together for this art nouveau style. By pin nailing hardwood blocking around the bottom back legs with two 45 degree angles also around the tenons. I was able to use had saws to do most of the cutting. The drill press really came in handy for drilling out the mortise ...
Well, did a bit of saw work today. Figured up I needed 3 boards @ 3/4” x 5-1/2” x 25” Circular saw did the work, after I had clamped the 8’ long plank in place. Had enough left over to form the back apron. Dry fit in the pipe clamps, looks good, spread some yellow glue around and clamp them up. Later, after the glue had cured, started to surface the top. A few handplanes to do the job. Had some “marks” on one board that needed to go… ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1695 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1720 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries